Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Ever had someone claim " your" game?

Old 09-22-2003, 07:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Ever had someone claim " your" game?

I remember reading an old NAHC magazine about a man who drew an elk tag. Long story short, someone tagged his elk and his buddies went along with him so there was nothing the game warden could do.

Has any of you ever had any similair experiences as this guy had? Ive never heard of it happening down here but wondered if any of you had experienced any of these low lifes in the woods?
Old 09-22-2003, 07:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Ever had someone claim " your" game?

I hear these stories all the time here in PA.......mostly rifle season though. With the high number of hunters in the " Pumpkin Army" if it doesn' t drop on the spot on public ground the lead is gonna fly!
Then you wind up with 6 guys standing over one deer counting bullet holes " I shot it here.....no I shot it there blah blah blah......etc etc.
[X(]
3 years ago on Pa' s opening day of firearms season, My buddy Frank had a guy already gutting his deer with a tag in it' s ear when he reached the end of the blood trail of a nice 8pt. and not another shot was fired. Still can' t believe he let the guy take it.
Its so hard to determine who shot what sometimes, but if its determined somewhow that the animal was still going and someone else put it down then they have the right to the animal. If it was me personally and I put down an obviously mortally wounded animal I would wait to congratulate the guy at the other end.

Regardless of what they say about never mess with guys and weapons over a deer........if I find someone trying to make off with a deer of mine under suspicious circumstances I KNOW who will be going home with that animal.
I cannot be and will not be bluffed into handing over anything that I feel is mine.

I get so sick of hearing about stolen treestands, broken into cars, no ettiquette in the woods and slob hunters, that I have ZERO tolerance for this stupidity.
Old 09-22-2003, 07:40 PM
Fork Horn

I hear these stories all the time here in PA.......mostly rifle season though. With the high number of hunters in the " Pumpkin Army" if it doesn' t drop on the spot on public ground the lead is gonna fly!
THAT' S WHY BOW HUNTING IS SO AWESOME.
It' s nice to be in the woods and know the only thing your going to see is wildlife.
Old 09-22-2003, 08:03 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-22-2003, 08:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

I stand beside Matt 100%.....I' ll down a wounded animal and wait for the guy who shot it first, help him gut it and congratulate him/her......I expect the same common courtesy....and will not tolerate less.
Old 09-22-2003, 09:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Illdeerslayer sorry to hear about you losing an animal, a nice buck at that. Some people will do about anything to " tag" an animal, even steal another hunters harvest!
Old 09-22-2003, 09:58 PM
Fork Horn

This may be a little off the subject but I`ll tell it anyhoo.
During bow season in 2001 I was in my stand, not hunting(didnt bowhunt at the time)
just doing a little scouting. Well at around 10:00 one morning I was coming
down out of my tree when a small doe came walking past with her guts
hanging out. I heard voices coming thru the woods behind her so I waited.
Two guys were tracking her so I approached them and offered to help track her.
One of the guys asked if I wanted her but I explained that I wasnt hunting and
I didnt have a tag. Then he told me that after he gut shot her a 4 pointer
came past and he killed it, therefore he didnt have a tag for the doe.
Then he says-" oh well the cyotes will have a nice meal" and headed back to
field dress his 4 pointer.
I was so shocked I didnt even know what to say. I guess I could have called
the game warden but I wouldnt have been able to prove anything anyway.

Been tryin to get those guys kicked off the land ever since.[:@][:@][:@][:@]
Old 09-23-2003, 01:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

The biggest deer I' ve ever killed was claimed by someone else.

On the last day of my " rut" scheduled vacation, the buck I was after--a HUGE 10 point came to my calling and I hit him perfectly, right behind the shoulder. But for some reason, I didn' t get the penetration I normally got. I didn' t wait long enough and went after him too soon. He got up and made it onto the neighboring land which is managed for hunting and closely patrolled.

I called the landowner of the land where the deer went and explained my problem and he gave me the number of the game manager there and told me to contact him. He told me I couldn' t look for it, but wanted exact directions as to where it came on their property so he could look for it " for me."

That night I was called back and told that I could look for it the next day if I wanted. OF COURSE, I never found it, but was told a year later that he did indeed find it and checked it in as his own. I met the landowner a few years later who verified the story. The caretaker had been fired for other unscrupulous activities and his whereabouts were unknown.

The buck was a potential B&C buck and weighed 275 dressed from what I was told.
Old 09-23-2003, 01:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

I shot a buck on opening day with my gun in Pa. I was dragging it down a steep mountain side. It was gutted and tagged. Across the deep gorge on the other side of the mountain there was another hunter. I seen him in all blaze orange. I was in all blaze orange also. This idiot shoots at my deer when I was dragging it. He arrived a few minutes later and accused me of taking his deer. What in the world are you talking about dude.He said I shot that deer when it was coming down the side of the mountain. I said look its gutted and already is getting stiff you nitwit. Plus your shot never hit it ,but you almost shot me you crakerhead. He didnt try and physically take it . But argued with me all the way to my truck.
Old 09-23-2003, 06:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

I' ve never had a deer taken from me, but I remember my Dad had one stolen before I was old enough to hunt. He was mad about it, but he' s the most laid back guy in the world, and he wasn' t going to get into it with the scumbag old guy that claimed it.

Quick Reply: Ever had someone claim " your" game?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.