Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Okay, the Ole Letoff Rule and P&Y one more time.

Old 09-21-2003, 06:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Okay, the Ole Letoff Rule and P&Y one more time.

Okay, thus far in the poll at the top of the page it appears as if 72+% of our members shoot 75% or less, so if the rule was to be changed, I assume it would be acceptable by everyone that they amend the rule to 75% or even if they went to a majority, they could stop at 70%....But I' m assuming too many bowhunters would still complain when taking a legitamate buck with an 80% letoff.....my question was and has always been, " what is an acceptable line in the sand?" Since 65% isn' t good enough for the minority of bowhunters.

I understand our poll doesn' t represent the bowhunting community as a whole, but at the moment it' s all we have.
Old 09-21-2003, 07:17 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-21-2003, 07:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Okay, the Ole Letoff Rule and P&Y one more time.

You won' t ever get an answer to what is an acceptable line in the sand. Too much of the ' ME' generation stuff going on in archery. People are more concerned about what' s good for ME, and not about what' s good for bowhunting.

You know, I' ve always supported P&Y' s rules and have vigorously defended them. But the more I think about it, the more I' m beginning to see that any kind of limitation is going to hurt us. If people had continued to voluntarily comply with P&Y' s rules, then we could have preserved the ' spirit' of bowhunting, but now it' s too late. The genie is out of the bottle and we' re not going to be able to stuff him back in.

Equipment has progressed and hunter success ratios have gotten so high that now bowhunting is part of the overall game management scheme, instead of being a recreational hunting activity with minimal impact on herd numbers as the seasons were originally designed. Some of us used to be afraid we' d lose part of bow season because of taking too many deer. Now, with deer herds out of control in many places, we' re liable to lose hunting time in those places if we don' t take our quota. The pressure is going to be on each one of us to tag out each and every season.

In Texas, in drought years the TPWD has wanted bowhunters to take a lot of early deer to avoid an early horn drop... to keep the gun hunters happy. Now, the gun hunters are griping that bowhunters take too many of the big boys before gun season and they don' t like it a bit. If we take too many deer, we get the gun hunters mad. If we don' t take enough deer, we get the wildlife commission mad. We' re screwed! Bowhunters here are constantly having to fight off proposals that will put guns into at least part of our one month bow season. I don' t think we' ll be able to hang onto a seperate bow season for too much longer.

We ain' t in Kansas no more, Toto!
Old 09-21-2003, 08:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

If people had continued to voluntarily comply with P&Y' s rules, then we could have preserved the ' spirit' of bowhunting, but now it' s too late.
You lost me on that one Arthur, who has been breaking the rules and how has the ' spirit' of bowhunting been lost. Do you beleive that those of us that carry bows that aren' t 65% let off that we don' t have a bowhunting ' spirit' in us? I love bowhunting, plan on bow hunting for years to come. My ' spirit' LOVES to bow hunt. So, I don' t understand your thinking and I don' t understand who hasn' t been voluntarily following the rules and how is that affecting the out come of the clubs decision?
Old 09-21-2003, 09:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

Howler, what do you want me to say? Understanding comes from yourself.

I' ll try to make it simple for you. Some of us become part of nature and hunt like cats. Some of us use all the latest technology to conquer nature and hunt like Klingons. P&Y set their rules to keep the Klingons in check, but the Klingons have surrounded P&Y and they seem to think it' s time to surrender.

Does that help?
Old 09-21-2003, 10:05 AM
Typical Buck

Howler, what Auther P say' s don' t surprise me a bit. I' ve read enough of his post to know that he beleives if you don' t shoot a 65% let off bow, then your inferior to those that do. your actually not really a bowhunter, you should be put in the same catagory as one who shoots a xbow. now, I doubt very seriously if most P/Y members beleive like him, and if they do, then I would never want to be a member of their club, because that makes them a bunch of high-filutin macho mongers that think their better than anybody that shoots anything over 65% letoff.
Old 09-21-2003, 11:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

bogobble, I don' t know whether to get P.O.' d at that post or laugh out loud. A wise man would wait until got to know someone before going around telling others how that person feels about things. Instead, you pick and choose a few points out of context and make a grand appraisal about my character. That' s dumb.
Old 09-21-2003, 03:02 PM
Super Moderator

The " acceptable" line in the sand, would be in line with their own rules of fair chase.....and that would be any bow that is drawn by and held by hand, what ever the let-off % is. And that it is legal by state wildlife laws to hunt with....thats it.
So Bow, perhaps in the future a compound bow will have 90% or higher letoff and thats ok to be allowed?

Breakdown of holding weight at full draw at 65 lbs. and 70 lbs.

50%........32.5 lbs........... 35
60%........26 lbs.............. 28
65%........22.75 lbs......... 24.2
70%........19.5 lbs........... 21
75%........16.25 lbs......... 17.5
80%........13 lbs............. 14
85%........9.75 lbs.......... 10.5

So at where is the line drawn? Beats me. Pope & Young is Pope & Young....either abide by their rules or don' t enter...........its very simple!
Old 09-21-2003, 03:07 PM
Super Moderator

Arthur is right......its become that the hunter is more important to be honored, than the great animal that was taken.[]
Old 09-21-2003, 03:12 PM

Cougar, if it' s all about the animals, why have any limitations at all? Is it not still a great animal regardless of how it was taken?

Quick Reply: Okay, the Ole Letoff Rule and P&Y one more time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.