Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Okay, the Ole Letoff Rule and P&Y one more time.

Old 09-21-2003, 03:22 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Okay, the Ole Letoff Rule and P&Y one more time.

Its still a great animal, but yes.........how that animal was taken is the big question.

Why do the majority of bowhunters hunt with a bow? Some will say because it allows more time to hunt, but a growing number of bowhunters and I imagine the majority of bowhunters use a bow because of being closer to the quarry and the greater challenge.

Anyway, enter Pope and Young if you want or enter Buckmasters....their are choices!!!
Old 09-21-2003, 03:27 PM

Cougar, I agree, but I see alot of people on this board saying it' s all about the animal. That' s not entirely true, in P&Y' s case, only half of the equation is the animal, the other half is the hunter' s gear. When someone enters an animal into the P&Y books, they ARE NOT doing for the animal. Sure, it sounds great, but it' s not true. JMO.
Old 09-21-2003, 03:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don' t beleive " klingons" have raised the average length of shot to kill game. Why is that. If the equipment makes it soooo much easier to take game, how come the average shot is still around 20 yards? It still comes down to being able to get close to or " become" nature to take the game cleanly. You still didn' t tell me who is breaking the rules?
Old 09-21-2003, 04:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

I am still in favour of the 65% rule.
Now whether or not I would enter an animal into the book is another question even tho every bow I own is P&Y legal.
Old 09-21-2003, 04:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

You still didn' t tell me who is breaking the rules?
You want me to print a list for you or what? Good grief!
Old 09-21-2003, 08:38 PM
Super Moderator

Belle, I didn' t mean to imply that using a compound bow with higher than 65% letoff is not legal, unethical or not fair chase. I appologize if I sounded that way.

I just mean its Pope & Young club rules, and its their right to set the rules to enter an animal taken.........just as its any bowhunter' s right to use legal equipment outside of Pope & Young entrance rules.
Old 09-21-2003, 09:31 PM

As I get older I need the extra let off for my arms and sholders sake. It also allows me to hold a steadier bow and make a cleaner shot. Line in the sand?
I say 75% cause that is my bows let off[:-]
Good luck
Old 09-22-2003, 05:57 AM
Typical Buck

Maybe I' m alone, but the way I look at it, if I am blessed enough to kill a big buck, I don' t need my name in a book to tell me I did good. I mean, to kill an animal, (any animal, not just one big enough to make the book) is an accomplishment. When I fill my tag, whether it be a 90 pound doe or a 150 class buck, I am proud of myself. Proud of the fact that I scouted out the animal, got into it' s bedroom and ethically harvested the animal. I guess what I' m saying is I don' t need a " book" to make myself proud that I harvested an animal. If you need your name in the book to make yourself feel better, then personally, I feel you are out there for the wrong reasons in the first place.

Slice
Old 09-22-2003, 07:15 AM

...hunt like Klingons.
lol That was very funny, and well put. Not sure if I agree, but I understand.

In 5 minutes I can swap a module and make my letoff 65%. I' ve done it on my target bow and didn' t notice much difference at all. At 60#, the difference is between 21# and 15# holding weight. The thing is, you have to pull through 60# to get there in the first place, and once you do I think most of us wouldn' t notice that much difference. If I thought I was close to harvesting a P&Y buck, you can bet I' d be swapping down to 65%. Maybe your bow won' t do this, but a whole bunch of us buy new bows every year or two and perhaps that should be a consideration next time around.
Old 09-22-2003, 03:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I' m still sticking with what my reply was in the first post. They should come out with two seperate books, one for the traditional shooters and one for the guys who use modern equipment. Then there will be no more squabbling!!
I shoot a 80% let-off bow and will continue to do so, book or no book!!
[:-]

Quick Reply: Okay, the Ole Letoff Rule and P&Y one more time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.