Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Stylus Streamlight!

Old 09-20-2003, 08:42 PM

Default Stylus Streamlight!

Hey guys,

I know that a couple people were talking about the Stylus Streamlight in a post a few days ago. Friday, I was out looking around for getting a new flashlight for archery season and I saw one. Well, I checked it out and decided to pick it up.

I purchased the " safety green" version with a black exterior color. It has two ways of being turned on. The back of the light can be twisted for constant use, and there is a button on the back that can be pushed in for " strobe" use as they call it. The light comes with a black plastic " pen cap" with a hole in it. This can be put over the front of the light in order to " concentrate" the light beam. I didn' t notice it making the light any brighter, it just made a smaller light circle. Actually, it seemed to dim the light out.

The Pro' s: Light Weight- This flashlight weighs 1.1 ounce with batteries. Needless to stay, it won' t drag you down on a long walk to your stands!

Hat Clip- This is a great feature as it can easily be put on a hat and it wont make the bill of the hat heavy and it doesnt block your view!

Size- This thing is small, plain and simple. It is just like carrying a pen into the woods!

Safety- This light is VERY VERY bright when being looked at, and the light can be seen for over a mile, atleast that is what the advertisements say, I havn' t tested that though!

The Con' s: Brightness- This light isn' t very bright. It will illuminate very well out to 15 feet in front of you, but, after that, forget it. Some may look at this as a good thing as it isn' t as easy for deer to spook, but, I like having a litte further light beam. This could also be because of the color, I have the safety green light.

Batteries- This light takes 3 AAAA batteries. I didn' t even know that those were actual batteries. I did manage to find two packs of them and bought them. 4 batteries cost me $6.00, but, these were the Energize Titaniums.

Size- Yes, size is also listed as a pro, but, it is also a con because this could be very easy to loose. If you were to drop it while in the woods before daylight, you would have a tough time finding it.

Price- It isn' t expensive, but, it still costs around $20.00 at most stores. There are many other good lights that can be bought for less than half the price.

Overall, I feel that this isn' t a " bad" light, but it isn' t that great either. If you want a light to use as a flashlight, save your money and get a mini-mag light. For safety though, this thing is priceless. I just can' t get over how far the light can be seen, but yet, how little illumination it has. If you want something to use in blood trailing, you can get the the " super white" light, but, I am not sure that it will be as good for safety. The one I have, well, blood tracking with this would be about as pointless as going bow-hunting with a Mathews (had to throw that one in there) The advertisements say that this will not hurt you night vision at all, but, just as any light, it actually does. I noticed no difference between how it and my mag-light affected my night vision.

I will be taking this light along with me on all my hunts from now on, but, it will not be used as a flashlight, I am just going to put it on my hat and carry my mini-mag light as a real light. It is just going to be there for added safety.
Old 09-20-2003, 08:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Stylus Streamlight!

BM, I had one sent to me from the NWTF...I really like it as well but have yet to really use it....I did use it to bore sight my turkey shotgun when I mounted a scope on it. I simply dropped it down the barrel and zeroed the cross hairs on the small circle it lit up on the wall.....worked perfectly.
Old 09-20-2003, 09:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Nice little review there Jason!.......This is one item I' ve been keeping an eye out for myself.
do you know if they make it in RED? That' s the trick to keeping your night vision.
I just want a small Non-Game Spooking light to use hands free while I set up my climbing stand etc in the pre-dawn darkness.
Sounds like a RED version of this light would be perfect for my purposes.

I use a Petzyl headlamp now but its a bit bulky and is more suited to the nightime predator hunting I also do.
Old 09-20-2003, 09:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Matt.
I have the Mini Mag light or I should say I did have a mini Mag light it got stolen[:@]

What I used to do was put some red celefain (sp) over the lens attached by a rubber band.
It worked good too and kept my night vision.
Old 09-20-2003, 09:57 PM
Fork Horn

Matt, they make them in white, red, blue, green and yellow. I think thats all of em.
I have blue red and green. Awesome for use while setting up my climber.[8D]
Old 09-20-2003, 10:42 PM

Yep Matt,

As Indiana Dude said, they do make them in red. They said the green wasn' t supposed to mess with nightvision either. The red might be worth taking a look at. Like I said, for getting into to woods, this light will work, it isn' t the brightest thing out there, which some may like, and some may dis-like, but, for setting up your climber and safety, this thing is top-notch. The kicker is the weight. It is just so light!!!!
Old 09-21-2003, 04:54 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have the Red and Green ones. Used the green on Sat for the first time. I really liked it but it is a pain trying to store it. I just cliped it to the inside of my shirt collar. Don' t know why is wouldn' t spook deer as they claim but then again thats the ol Buckmaster JB talking.
Old 09-21-2003, 12:31 PM

In another life I was (still am a licensed pilot-grounded with high blood pressure) and all aircraft instruments have the capabibility to be switched to red and it will not destroy your night vision. I even have a special flashlight that uses a red light as an auxillary light source.

As a bowhunter I have several Mag Lites. My mini Mag is fastened to my daybag. Years ago I purchased the auxillary colored lens inserts. I also have the Princeton Tec-Matrix Led Headlamp with an extra red lens cover. While I am a strong proponent of using red to preserve my night vision I mist admit that in the mountains where I hunt the red light is not very easy for long hikes. The 4-LED Matrix white light works great and is probably not visible very far; it' s only drawback is that it tends to flatten the trail you are but you can live with that.
Old 09-21-2003, 01:01 PM

Great Thread Buck. I have thought about getting one, and after your review, I think it' s in the bag. I' m gonna pick one up tomarrow.

Thanks for the review.
Smitty