Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Cheap Arrows for practice

Old 01-24-2013, 08:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I bought several of the walmart carbons for my G-son starting out for $3 each. Actually got a Dz.on sale for $24. They worked GREAT & after he became more proficient, I invested in some good arrows for him.
Keep your shooting at 15 & 20 yds. & hopefully some type decent arrow friendly backstop. Once you master the basics, start looking for a better shaft but for the time being, those $3 carbon wally worlds will do you well.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:30 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for all the tips guys. And yea Roger, right now im just shooting to get shooting down, no one here can tell me how to aim with a recurve. They told me if I shoot enough, my body will just know where to point.

Ill switch to compound in a few months but for now, a recurve is all I have. What are some key techniques?
Old 01-26-2013, 11:35 AM
Fork Horn

Hope your aim gets better. It should with practice and make sure your bow arm doesn't drop after the release of the arrow. That improves accuracy a lot. Also, when your aiming at the target, don't aim at the same spot every time. I've ruined a few arrows doing that over the past 19 years of bow hunting. Not sure what you consider cheap carbon arrows but Wal Mart sells some inexpensive ones.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:09 AM
Spike

Actually if you are new I would recomend using aluminum game getters by easton. If you are in a club or shoot with some other folks you might get some cast offs from someone who has some old aluminum arrows. My buddy has a bunch behind his shop. I am going to get some to use for squirrel hunting. I like to use something trashy for the tree-rat season.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:03 AM
Fork Horn

Aluminum arrows fly alot differently than carbons, and I believe the chance of it hitting concrete and bending permanently is more than a carbon arrow breaking against concrete. But thats just a guess on my part from what i've heard.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ouch-TRASHY Aluminums. I have been Bowhunting over 55 years now & went the carbon route for 2 years & went BACK to Easton Aluminums. I do hit my target most of the time so not a problem but trash, they are not. In jest. My personal opinion is Aluminums shoot & group best for me....
Oh, & once my G-son, son & Daughter became proficient, they went to Eastons to. We love talkin trash...
Old 01-28-2013, 09:11 AM
Fork Horn

whats the advantage of using aluminum vs carbon? I know that it'll bend and is heavier, but are there any other advantages?
Old 01-29-2013, 07:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Advantages for me is they group better (my most important reason) & cost is just a little over 1/2 of that of a comparable Carbon. Carbon has definatley taken over & people will argue cost in the Long run will be less.
Granted, I pretty much hit what I'm shooting at whenever practising, so my Aluminums last me forever.
If it gets bent, it's done BUT I don't worry about an unseen crack (like Carbon) & the flexing of them for safety reasons..
Old 01-29-2013, 09:17 AM
Fork Horn

Why do you group better with aluminums?