Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

is there a way to practice w/ mechanicals??

Old 09-18-2003, 10:03 PM
Fork Horn

Default is there a way to practice w/ mechanicals??

i love muzzy 100' s! 3 bladers! i practice w/ the heads on then put fresh ones on 4 hunting! they say the mechs shoot the same! i dont buy it! what do you do??
Old 09-18-2003, 10:28 PM

Default RE: is there a way to practice w/ mechanicals??

I had WASP JAK-HAMMERS last year and I wrapped dental floss around the blades in place of the rubber band and they shot just fine into a BLOCK target. When I took the floss off I made sure none of the blades got bent and were all freely flopping open........worked for me.
Old 09-19-2003, 03:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Some heads you can tie down, others you can' t. what heads in peticular are you refering too?
Old 09-19-2003, 08:16 AM
Boone & Crockett

Just figure on wasting a set of blades and buy replacements right away, in 3 packs it doesn' t take long to waste blades, remember...ONE SHOT AND THEY ARE DONE until you replace or sharpen them and with these blades I don' t recommend sharpening them unless your skilled at it.....

I shot the RM Snypers on 5 Shots recommendation (I' ll never give up Muzzy) and they flew true to me.....now my hunting partners bow, they did not and believe me when I say it is tuned to perfection.....he shot the Snypers and they flew high left of his field points....he still shot the Muzzy' s which we had tuned to group with the field points......

If you don' t practice with mechanicals and only assume, you may be in trouble.
Old 09-19-2003, 08:49 AM

I shoot spitfires, and they sell practice blades dirt cheap. I bought some, and they work well.
Old 09-19-2003, 09:16 AM

the last 2 years i used steel heads. the reason i went to the mechanicle is because i can still practice with my field points. this year i am using snypers (better penatration i hope) and again i can practice with field points. do not get me wrong, i still have my practice broadheads and periodicaly shoot them to make sure that nothing has changed.
Old 09-19-2003, 10:38 AM
Spike

I also shoot Rocky Mountain Snypers and have for three years now. In my first pack I chalked one up for a practive head and shot it every practive session along with my field tips. Since then I have saved two heads that I took game with and added them to practice heads. If for some reason I loose a hunting head, I can always add new blades to the practice heads.
Old 09-19-2003, 04:03 PM
voz
Fork Horn

I shoot my mechanicals, just like I' d shoot them at an animal....then donate that head to the practice bin.
Old 09-19-2003, 04:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

monsterbuckland all I will say is do not knock it until you have tried it! With Spitfires (so far) they fly like field points! When they quite doing that I will do one of two things, either gamble on a fixed blade that flys like a field point as long as there is no wind (and take the chance it does not " plane on me" ) or switch to another brand of Mech!