Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

what kinda oaks you got and what the deer like best

Old 09-17-2003, 07:55 PM
Fork Horn

Default what kinda oaks you got and what the deer like best

this year there are a million acorns everywhere, red oaks white, burr oaks, chesnuts, swamp white , chinkapins,blacks, not tp mention the hickorys! do you hunt the acorns?? i have a huge burr oak, 120 feet tall, loaded, its a white oak species, and there aint one on the ground not eaten and there is a red oak 10 feet away and theres piles of them! i also found these weird ones the other day and cant i.d. the tree, they were skinny long and pointed at the end, like the bullet part of a 308 round, weird and i never noticed this tree before! im in ny upstate and luckily w/ no more corn around this ancient hardwood stand is a killer food plot!
Old 09-17-2003, 07:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: what kinda oaks you got and what the deer like best

I' ve only had the chance to hunt white oaks and red oaks at the same time and between the two they seemed to prefer the white oaks.
Old 09-17-2003, 08:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have mainly Red Oaks, water oaks & a few scattered white oaks. From what I' ve seen, the deer will pass up the others to get to the white oaks. I already have some red oak acorns on the ground.
Old 09-17-2003, 10:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

My woods has allot of white & red oaks. The deer prefer the white oaks.
Old 09-17-2003, 10:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Deer prefer white oak group acorns over red oak group acorns due to lower tannin content. I think it gives it a bitter taste.
Old 09-18-2003, 03:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

The part of Florida I hunt has acorns on the ground yet the deer ignore them...they are eating greenbriar and gallberry. The only problem with gallberry is they are everywhere! They deer will bed down for awhile, then stand up and eat gallberry, then he will lay down under the spot where he ate... there isn' t much difference between the bedding areas and the food plot
Old 09-18-2003, 03:44 AM

... there isn' t much difference between the bedding areas and the food plot
Im with you on that one bud. In the area I hunt its hard to find deer that have to travel any distance to reach a food source. Makes it very difficult to intercept them at times.

There arnt alot of oaks in the area I hunt during the early season but when they start to fall the deer practically stand under them with their mouths open. I rarely find any on the ground. Mostly water oaks, laurel oaks, and a few live oaks and some swamp oak.
In the later season I hunt white oaks and pin oaks on a state WMa near my house.
Old 09-18-2003, 07:18 AM

The acorns are just starting to fall in thr areas I hunt.Here in MD,we have alot of mature hardwoods,loaded with white and red oaks.Deer prefer the the whites over the reds,thats always a good area to set-up.
Old 09-18-2003, 07:25 AM

Has any one ever noticed this,I' ve been sitting in my stand,watching the tree rats run around,knocking acorns to the ground,and sometimes it' s like a dinner bell for the deer.It seems the deer hear and see this,and will come in for a free lunch.This is why I resist shooting those little pains in the neck....Bob
Old 09-18-2003, 07:27 AM

WHITE OAKS is the food that most deer prefer. I mostly have red oaks and water oaks on my lease. I do have a couple of white oaks but they do not produce very many acorns. I put some fertilizer around them this year in hopes of helping them produce more acorns in the future

Quick Reply: what kinda oaks you got and what the deer like best

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.