Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Gear purchase...

Old 12-09-2012, 06:47 PM
Fork Horn

Default Gear purchase...

I am looking to buy some new hunting gear but want to avoid paying tons of money to do so especially since I start paramedic school in January....
I want to purchase one or two ladder/hang on stands so what would some recommendations?
I would also like to purchase a blind for late season when its cold out or happens to be raining... What are some recommendations?
A small heater that could keep the chill away while I am sitting in the blind... What should I get?
I also want to do a small 1/4 acre food plot that will be planted via manual labor. I will not be able to get a tiller to the area and no way I can get a 4wheeler/tractor on the property. What tools should I purchase to plant such a plot... I already have a sprayer and weed eater but what can I use to break the soil so that I can apply lime and fertilizer to the plot?
Thanks in advance for the help!!!!
Old 12-09-2012, 08:40 PM
Fork Horn

I have found steals on stands at menards after the season. Ladder stands for like $70. Hang on stands with big platforms for like 30.

I don't do food plots so I'm no elp there....
Old 12-10-2012, 03:20 AM
Fork Horn

I have bought stands from Dicks every winter that are on sale for great prices or a great deal. last winter it was buy one stand get one free. These good sales start sometime after christmas.
Good luck
Old 12-10-2012, 03:26 AM
Fork Horn

Gear purchase...-shot-plot-food-plot.jpgOn food plots I have used Shot plot with success and no till from whitetail institute. With both alls I did was rake and scratch ground with rock rake and had good success. Attached is a picture of a small shot plot I put in a field edge with same method. It was brassica and the turnips got big enough for me to harvest a few to eat in salad,lol. Deer have been hitting it too, ever since it started to get really cold here in Maine, which turns leafs sweeter.

Last edited by croc2116; 12-10-2012 at 03:30 AM.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:31 PM
Typical Buck

for stands i recommend craigslist or ebay, as long as you know what you want and about stands. Some people who sell them on there have no idea what they have. It could be a 300$ climber and they put it up for 50 bucks. If you decide to buy used make sure everything on it is sound before you climb. I've found realllly good deals on craigslist for just about everything. If you decide not to go that route, dicks or any other sporting goods chain store normally has great sales after christmas.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:48 AM
Spike

Just what I needed, thanks a lot.