Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

NAP' s " new Razorback" test results update

Old 09-17-2003, 03:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default NAP' s " new Razorback" test results update

New Archery Products “New Razorback”

Plywood: 3 points
Steel drum: 4 points
Tire: 2 points
Cutting diameter: 3 points
Accuracy: 4 points
Blades: 4 points
Non-Mechanical head: 2 points
Total score: 22 with a blade sharpness rating of B-

This is New Archery products version of the cut on contact head. It is a 4blade style with a 1 1/8” cutting diameter. It also has the traditional “RazorBack” rotating blade system. The blades actually rotate around the ferule. There are two main blades, and two smaller bleeder blades. They are encased in a composite material, which is wrapped around the main portion of the threaded ferule.
I found the accuracy to be very good, as good as any fixed blade head I have tried. In the plywood the head did not fully penetrate, stopping at the back of the blades, and was undamaged. In the tire the results were pretty much the same, with the head stopping at the back of the blades and remaining undamaged. In the steel drum the razorback penetrated the first wall, with the tip and 1/3 of the main blade sticking out the back wall. The two bleeders blades were ripped out sometime after making it through the first side, and before making it to the back wall, but the main blades were completely intact and undamaged. I don’t consider the bleeders coming out in the drum to be a problem, by them breaking off it allowed the main blades to continue to penetrate.
Overall this improved version of the Razorback is a pretty good head, it is very accurate, durable, and cuts a big path. It doesn’t penetrate as well as some of the smaller cut on contact heads, but it does created a larger wound channel.
This improved version of the Razorback is a much better product than the ones I tested last year. The blades are much stronger, and the head holds together a lot better. The blade sharpness is not quite as good as last years model, but the edge is still acceptable for hunting. I will gladly give up some blade sharpness for a more durable head, so long as the sharpness is still with acceptable limits, besides I found the Razorbacks fairly easy to get shaving sharp with out to much trouble using a couple of different commercial sharpening devices.
If you are a fan of NAP broadheads and want to shoot a cut on contact head I can now recommend this one without any reservations. My hat goes off to NAP making the needed improvements on the Razorbacks and bringing up the quality to that which we have come expect from them.

Old 09-17-2003, 07:33 AM

Default RE: NAP' s " new Razorback" test results update

Sweet. You, my friend are an asset. Honestly, unsoliceted product evaluations are the only ones I truely pay attention to.

I forget what KE your test bow has??? Speed/ grains?

Does it seem as if the head will be stationary in flight? It would seem as if it would at least rotate at a different speed than the shaft. Any thoughts on this? Flight, penetration etc. I mean how did this head compare to others in its class?

This is a head that I' ve been quite interested in. Thanks.

-Chief
Old 09-18-2003, 03:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: NAP' s " new Razorback" test results update

My test bow is putting out 70 ft/lbs of KE. I don' t know if the heads rotate in flight, but they shoot and group very well. As for penetration vs other heads of similar design, I would say the didn' t penetrate as well in my test materials. Mostly becuase of the larger carbon composit ferule, at least I think that' s why. It seems to " catch" on the harder mateials. In the steel drum and foam " cube" target penetration was as good as most other heads, so I think in game they will do just fine. I see no reason not to use the heads especialy if your a NAP fan and want to support their products.