Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

fawn bleats

Old 09-16-2003, 01:25 PM

Default fawn bleats

Has anybody ever used a fawn bleat with any success. I have a cousin that swears by them. I have not heard anybody else say very much about them.
Old 09-16-2003, 01:34 PM

Default RE: fawn bleats

i have had great success in the summer, early fall. Many times have had deer run in and stop. As they walk away, bring them back in again.

Once the season rolls around - they can be used to stop a deer or get its attention but that' s about it from what I have seen.
Old 09-16-2003, 01:39 PM

Bearlot,

Let' s think about this!?! I haven' t used fawn bleats as part of my arsenal, but I may this season after posting this reply. NOW....let' s think like a buck!!!!
Let' s also assume we are bowhunting in the pre-rut or rut.
1. Why would a fawn make a bleat? Answer: to find it' s momma or because it was in trouble and needed it' s momma
2. Why would a buck be interested in a fawn bleat and/or respond to a fawn bleat call? Answer: Because where there' s a fawn, typically, there' s a momma and momma' s are what bucks are looking for at this time.
I really haven' t given a fawn bleat much thought until I read your post, but, I must say that it may be worthy of a try! I don' t think it would be very affective outside of the pre-rut or rut, then again, I watched a 130" 10-point play with a buck fawn for 25 minutes a couple of nights ago in one of my food plots. Deer want to be with other deer, plain and simple!! Your cousin may be onto something.
Old 09-16-2003, 03:14 PM

Well guys I guess it just depends on what you expect to happen I don' t agree with Dale about the buck coming in Not trying to rile you dale. If you are wanting to bring in does or yearlings I think it will work just fine. I attended a seminar held by Jim Strelec? of Knight & Hale and was verrrryyy impressed. He could take a fawn bleat and make you think the fawn was right there and being attacked. It was just awesome.
Old 09-16-2003, 07:02 PM

Love ' em. I' ve had does come running in but I' ve also had them pay no attention. I wouldn' t go in the woods without one,
Old 09-16-2003, 08:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

Most of you guys are talking about a fawns distress call rather than the bleat...these are two different vocalizations.
Old 09-17-2003, 01:26 PM
Fork Horn

it actually works pretty good if u use the bleat and work your way up to a ditress call.....i' ve had a nice buck, a doe and a fawn, a basket 6, and 2 does come in at different times...after each sequence... i do three different calls each getting louder and longer as the go....
Old 09-17-2003, 01:59 PM

thank ya' ll for the info. I think I will try one in the early part of the season and see what happens.
Old 09-17-2003, 02:33 PM

Even if it only would bring in does during the rut there' s nothing better than a live decoy if she would stick around anyway
Old 09-17-2003, 03:23 PM
Fork Horn

Last year it was the peak of the rut here in IL. I think somewhere around Nov 15th or so. Anyways - I was sitting at the very top of a large finger of woods that jutted out into a CRP field. The deer love traveling up and down this finger and then hopping in the next big block of woods. Especially the big bucks, since it provides them with the most cover.

In any case, it was an extremely foggy morning. Right about 8 am I catch a glimpse of a beautiful buck about 80 yards out into the CRP field, angling down into the finger. I bleated at him 2-3 times before he head it. His head immediately snapped up and he made a b-line straight for me. He passed through one shooting lane, came around the top of the woods, and got to within 8 yards of me.

Knowing something was up, he started back around the finger the way he had came - eventually stopping directly in the middle of my shooting lane. I drew back and........shot right over his back! [&o]

The moral of the story - doe/fawn bleats can and will bring in mature deer during the rut. I wouldn' t expect it during early or late season, but when they' re out cruising for does it just might spark their curiosity to come check things out.

Furthermore - if you are hunting a spot with a lot of pressure I' ve found that doe bleats work even better, considering that everyone in the woods is using a grunt tube and eventually the bucks are becoming weary of it. However, most people don' t bleat all that often.

Quick Reply: fawn bleats

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.