Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Early Season Tactics

Old 09-16-2003, 12:30 PM

Default Early Season Tactics

I am curious as to what you guys use in the early season. Any luck with Doe calls, scents etc.

I have tried doe calls in the past with few results. About the best luck I have had is to use a drag rope with " Trails End 307" . Other wise I try to find a water source, food and heavy cover and find a good place to set up in between them.

Thanks & Good Luck
Old 09-16-2003, 01:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Early Season Tactics

I try to find the bachelor groups in early season. From about month before the season till the season starts, I scout from a distance with my binoculars. I don' t get in the woods but try to see where the bachelor groups are moving before they break up. There usually in the same spots every year but this year I havn' t seen them. If I don' t find them, I' ll be on the trails leading to and from the persimmon trees that I know about and also a few funnels.
Old 09-16-2003, 01:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

If it is does that you are looking for, the fawn bleat in distress will work in the early season. The action can be fast and exhilerating. You can' t use the can for this, gotto use a mouth powered call to make it sound more distressed.
Old 09-16-2003, 04:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: UpNorth

...I try to find a water source, food and heavy cover and find a good place to set up in between them.
Down here in Florida water, food, and cover are usually in the same spot... it' s a swampy jungle out there! Using scents and calls, properly, is about the only way to get a deer sometimes.
Old 09-16-2003, 04:51 PM
Typical Buck

Howler, what sequence would you use to imitate a faw in distress? I have a tube that will call buck/doe/fawn but am not sure what the fawn in distress sequence would sound like...
Old 09-16-2003, 05:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

Like a toy doll crying. Try blowing aaaaaaa,aaaaaa into the call
Old 09-16-2003, 05:29 PM

I like Rockytops advise about scouting the bachelor herds and setting up a few stands ib that area.

Also don' t over look some rut tactics in early octiber. Since my season has opened on Oct. 1 I have been very surprised at the amount of rut activity I have seen. I guess a few does will come into heat early and this gets things fired up

I rattled in one of my bucks last year on Oct. 2nd - a full month and a week from the full rut.