Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Slightly disappointed in Stealth Cam pics

Old 09-15-2003, 05:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Slightly disappointed in Stealth Cam pics

I developed my pictures yesterday on my first roll of pics. I pulled my camera from the apple tree in the food plot, it had nine pics on it and I put it in my honey hole.

At my honey hole from Thursday evening until noon Sunday I also had 9 pics...NOW.

When I pulled the camera from the apple tree, it was cocked sideways so I figured the bear was in...sure enough, after the first pic was taken, 3 does entering the field, the next pic was of the ground out in front of the camera with a bear' s ear in the pic...lol and then the next day the bear was back but the camera only caught a pic of the snout and believe it or not, a doe in the background... then another of just the bears leg and half his face....the other pics were of fawns and a porcupine near the camera seeing as it was pointed down from the bear messing with it....

The 9 pics from my honey hole were also a disappointment...the only thing I can think is I had the camera too close to the trail because all the pics were of partial deer......just their heads, noses or arses as the passed or entered the camera area. I did have a pic of a small buck and then another of what looked like a decent buck but the pic was only of the nose and end of the left antler...the rest was missing...

I studied the negatives and they showed more than the pics as the pics were cut wrong and I guess and I' m disappointed in that as well.

I moved the camera to another tree farther from the trail...the trail is down to mud and having 9 pics in just 2 days at different times of the day shows me the trail is heavily used...now I just need to see a few mature bucks....this is a area I rarely scout ahead of time...the deer are always there and I usually never hunt it until into the rut...we' ll see....I have a guest the first Mon and Tues and I' ll have him in there with me in the opening few days...Matt/PA are you getting excited?
Old 09-15-2003, 05:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Slightly disappointed in Stealth Cam pics

Excited?..........ME? Naaaaaaaaa.

I' ll tell ya one thing, all the attention these cameras seem to get from the wildlife, I might just have to attach one to my treestand!

Really looking forward to it bud, the countdown has officially begun this week.
Old 09-15-2003, 05:54 PM

I studied the negatives and they showed more than the pics as the pics were cut wrong and I guess and I' m disappointed in that as well
When I got my 1st pictures back I noticed the same thing. The delevopers cut off the imprint of the time. That may be the drawback of one hour developing, but the price is right.
Good Luck
Old 09-15-2003, 05:58 PM

Sorry to hear that Rob,

WE CAN,T ALL BE LIKE BM NOW CAN WE
Old 09-15-2003, 06:16 PM

Hey Rob,

Sorry to hear about the troubles. Like I said in my review, I noticed that the camera had a wider angle sensor unit, but, I havn' t really noticed it being a problem. I have only really got one " cut off" picture and it isn' t what I would call " bad"

Moving the camera back off the trail a little bit is probablly a good idea. Not only because it will open up the cameras field of view, but, it will spook deer less.

I try to keep the camera about 15 feet from the trail that I set it on.

I hope that helps and I hope that you start getting full pics of deer!

Rack,

There is only ONE BM, and that is all the world can take
Old 09-15-2003, 06:39 PM
Typical Buck

I read a good article in a mag the other day about setting up game cams. One of their points was to not put the camera TOO close to the " action point" . So backing it off would probably be good. They also said beware of blowing twigs that could set it off, and not to point the camera down trail but let the deer trip it sidways. Those things, watching the height and that' s all I can think of.
Old 09-15-2003, 07:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I' ve read one trick with the stealth cam is to place a ~.25" strip of electrical tape along each verticle edge of the sensor so it will not take the pics before the animal is in front of the lens. It seams the senser has a wider active angle than the camera lens.
Old 09-15-2003, 08:03 PM
Typical Buck

While were on the subject, I' ll tell everyone what NOT to do.

My Stealth Cam sits here at my hunting bench! I took it down to get the film developed over five days ago and haven' t had the chance to put it up somewhere yet. Don' t fetch your film until you have film and a location to put it on the same day.[:@][:' (][>:]
Old 09-15-2003, 11:01 PM

At least you got pictures. I had my Stealth cam up all week and it didn' t take a single photo. It had been set off 10 times but no pictures.
Old 09-16-2003, 06:17 AM

Dont feel too bad Rob,
I went the other day and picked up both of my cams and there were both full. I ran down to wal-mart and waited around for an hour like a kid waiting for christmas. They handed me back three deer pictures and a LOT of cow pictures[:' (]. Darn Cows[X(]

Quick Reply: Slightly disappointed in Stealth Cam pics

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.