Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Mosquito advice...

Old 09-14-2003, 10:44 PM

Default Mosquito advice...

The skeeters have been really bad around here lately. I don' t have any skeeter repellant clothing but I will be covering up completely along with head mask and gloves. But the darned skeeters just bite right thru the clothing. Anyone got any adive on how to repel the bloodsuckers? I' ve bought repellant that is supposedly unscented. I could smell it so I' m sure the deer would too. Someone mentioned loading up on Vitamin B (or was it C?).... Or a lot of garlic???
Old 09-15-2003, 12:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Mosquito advice...

Garlic trick is a maybe, but you wont win any friends when you start to sweat.
I' ve been pumping up on the vitamin B complex (b-1 is the one you' ve heard about), but am still getting bit around the house, so It ain' t working.
The bug suit that is just mesh is useless, the shannon bug tamers are much better, but hot (I' ve got one).
The no-stinking bugs earth scent gets some ok reviews, but I still got winded while trying to use it.

This year I' m trying a Therma-cell butane unit. It' s supposed to work, I' ll find out.
It' s the size of a LARGE tv remote control, and has to be used in the horizontal position. (that will be tricky, maybe velcro it to my stands deck).
I got mine for $25.00 and the refills are $4.99. One refill last " up to" 12 hours with patches that have to be swapped every 4 hours. It' s advertised to maintain a personall sized bug free zone on calm days. Time will tell.
Old 09-15-2003, 03:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt swamps in Florida, and I understand how you feel. I use permanone. When I first get set up I have the little buggers swarming all around me. within 5 minutes they are all gone! Actually their dead. A few minutes later another one will show up but she will die also. This sstuff is scent free and sprays on your clothes, not your skin. Just read the directions on the can and use it the way it says.
Old 09-15-2003, 08:40 AM

hey you never had a problem with the deer smelling the permanone?
Old 09-15-2003, 12:02 PM
Fork Horn

You mean you don' t just swat them all away... J/K

What is Permone...?? And where can I get it...??
Old 09-15-2003, 12:13 PM

I use the unsented deep woods off. I know it isn' t unsented to us, but it doesn' t seem to bother the deer much. At least not for me. If they do smell it, it can' t be as bad as moving around swatting mosquitoes.
Old 09-15-2003, 12:19 PM

I' m with WThunter. I' ve used Deep Woods Off for years and it' s always been the best for me. I like the fact that if I put it on my skin it won' t rot off. And I' ve had deer within 5 yards of me without any problems.
Old 09-15-2003, 02:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don' t think the deer smell it, if they do they probably could care less. I have had deer within 10 feet of the tree I was in and one of them actually came down the same trail I used just 10 minutes before!

You can get this stuff at Walmart for about 5 bucks a can. It is a gold can with a blue lid. The name is REPEL there is enough in a can to do 2 pants and two shirts. it will last for 2 weeks even if you wash them.
Old 09-15-2003, 04:52 PM
Fork Horn

Any tips on keeping the chiggers from getting you. (Besides rubber boots) Repellants, or lotions?
Old 09-15-2003, 05:21 PM
Spike

THUNDERMUG ,where you hunting here in Florida.I' m in a club in Bryceville.Just bought the Thermacell and it' s awesome...trying to figure a way to carry it on the move.

Quick Reply: Mosquito advice...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.