Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

HOYT CAM 1/2 Shooters.........

Old 09-14-2003, 08:27 PM

Default HOYT CAM 1/2 Shooters.........

I am really wanting to get a new bow (for next season) and want to get it soon..... I am looking at the AR 37, and thinking about a Hoyt also......

I will most likely shoot a Hoyt this week but want to ask..... How does the Hoyts timing hold up honestly.... after reading all the stuff about cam timing I am VERY reluctant to buy any bow with 2 cams but read a lot about the Hoyts straight nock travel, smoothness, and speed - a good combo..... I am mainly looking for an accurate bow - sure speed is great.... but accuracy puts meat on the table.....

So any opinions from Hoyt shooters would be great.

Thanks guys
Old 09-15-2003, 06:55 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: HOYT CAM 1/2 Shooters.........

In my experience earlier this year with Hoyt' s cam and a half system on various bows, the design of the cam lends itself to decreased problems with cam timing for several reasons.

1. Hoyt' s use of D75 string material significantly reduces string creep.

2. The cams are " tied together" via a cable so what happens to one cam subsequently happens to the other.

3. There are timing/performance marks on both cams so you can monitor any changes in the cams positions.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-15-2003, 06:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

I bought an 03 Ultratec this summer, put a Winner' s Choice string on it and it hasn' t moved. No problems with timing. The bow is what I would consider to be moderately fast, at 29 inches; 70# it will push a 500 grain arrow 250 fps with peep, loop, and catwiskers on the string. It is fairly quiet, shock free, and smooth to draw. Where it really shines is in the accuracy department. It is a tack driver for sure! I would have to give it high marks.
Old 09-15-2003, 11:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

I bought a Magna tec cam 1/2 with the xt 2000 limbs a little while back. I really enjoy this bow. It has great accuracy and speed. It is set at 63 pounds with a 29 inch draw lenght shooting 5575 gold tips with 100 grain tips. It is shooting 269 fps. That is with a loop nock, string leaches, kisser and super peep. I couldn' t have asked for more out of this bow. It is my first hoyt and I plan to keep ahold of it for a while. In my opinion for the price, I payed $400 for the bow minus all accessories you can' t complain. Hope this helps!!

I forgot to add it had 3 nocks sets on the lower part of the string to act like the acc. balls for extra fps.
Old 09-15-2003, 12:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I bought the razortec in March and have never liked a bow better. My shooting in terms of accuracy at longer ranges has improved tremendously. At a draw length of just 27" , I' m slinging a 402 grain arrow at 260fps with a string peep, catwhiskers, and a string loop on the string. This bow shoots better than I do.
Old 09-15-2003, 05:27 PM

I like hearing the good reports...... I am really anxious to go try one out. After reding the ' hype' about them - I wanted to hear it from the actual users - not a dealer. I like the idea of the cams tied together - just wondered if it worked.

Hmmm........ all I gotta do is try one out !
Old 09-15-2003, 08:22 PM

i got my mt sport in april and have not had a problem one with the bow !

Old 09-15-2003, 10:04 PM
Spike

I shoot a Protec and the cam and 1/2 works flawlessly. I had another top brand of bow and the day I switched to this bow my confidence went up tremendously. The system is EXTEMELY forgiving and easy to set up.
Old 09-15-2003, 10:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Love my 2003 magnatec with cam.5. Realy nice,quite, shooting bow, couldnt ask for a better one.
Old 09-16-2003, 06:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

Now, not to put a damper on your enthusiasm but as with any cam system there are some disadvantages as well as advantages...though I believe the latter far outweigh the former. In reference to the Mathews advertisement seen in many magazines....you can purposely put the cams out of synch and timing with one another if you try hard enough but that usually involves installing an incorrect cable onto the bow. During normal shooting this should not be an issue.

Something else that popped up shortly after the cam system was introduced was the issue of paper tuning the new cams. Apparently, the cams do need to be totally in synch with one another in order for you to get a perfect bullet hole with any of the Cam and a Half bows. Now, that does not mean to say that you cannot get good accuracy out of the bows if the cams are not in synch, in fact, you can get very good groups provided the cams are timed anywhere within the performance marks on the cams. It is simply a matter of personal preference.

Again, I do not mean to discourage you as I think the Cam and a Half style system is great to shoot for a variety of reasons. I am just realistic enough to let folks know that there is always more to any given story.

Hope this helps.