Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Acorns are HOT

Old 09-14-2003, 05:04 PM

Default Acorns are HOT

Just went out to do some last minute cutting of sme shooting lanes. Should have done it sooner since the Illinois opener is only 2 1/2 weeks away. The areas in the oaks were just destroyed with deer activity with a lot of acorns beginning to fall. Just a reminder, don' t forget the oaks. Everybody always remembers the fields of beans and corn. All you old timers already know this but thought I would mention for some of the new bowhunters. Also saw two nice velvet rubs that got me going.

Best of luck to all this year.
CILLINOISBOWMAN

Old 09-14-2003, 07:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Acorns are HOT

saturday afternoon i hunted an acorn patch. i saw 2 does and a skipper, but they spooked when someone else shot and the deer came running by. all well. maybe next saturday
Old 09-14-2003, 08:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

When acorns are falling, especially those from white oaks, deer will all but abandon everything else....hunt the oaks is always a good bet...nice tip cillinoisbowman .
Old 09-14-2003, 09:46 PM

Our acorns aren' t falling yet....
There seemed to be a lot of activity underneath a tree where a lot of wild cherries had fallen.
Took a drive to Elk Co., PA the other day (beautiful country!) and we returned as it was getting dark. A lot of the deer we seen were in the middle of fields and there were groups underneath apple trees. One apple tree had about 10 deer underneath. We have a few apple trees on our property and there is a lot of activity underneath. Depending on the wind on opening day I will be watching the apple trees or else the wild cherry trees.....unless some acorns start falling.
Old 09-15-2003, 03:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

White acorns are the deal,but for some reason the acorn trees have been sorry in my area the past 3 years,stinkin Gypsy moths
Old 09-15-2003, 05:38 AM
Boone & Crockett

The only thing I have ever seen to draw deer quicker than acorns is persimmons!!!
Old 09-15-2003, 05:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

I haven' t seen an acorn around here this year....last year wasn' t too hot either. The cherries are starting to fall and they are getting a lot of deer around them. The only problem is that there are so many cherry trees arounf here.
Old 09-15-2003, 10:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

One of my favorite stands is in a huge white oak--one of the few in the area--and it sits right on the edge of a field full of soybeans. If this stinkin' rain lets up a little, I' d like to give it a shot tonight.
Old 09-15-2003, 03:16 PM

I love hunting acorns. I' ve killed 3 deer in the last 2 years while hunting oaks.

Tyler