Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Deer dropped in its tracks?

Old 09-14-2003, 07:54 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Deer dropped in its tracks?

On my elk trip to Wyoming, my hunting partner on that trip knocked a bull over on it' s back by squaring it in the shoulder at 20 yards...Hoyt bow, Beman arrows and Muzzy broadheads....bull' s legs in the air flairing around...he got up, run off over the mt never to be seen again....
Old 09-14-2003, 08:34 PM

Matt, I see your point now, I guess a lower shoulder hit could pinch the spinal cord. They probably edited the part with Ol' Dan pumping another arrow in the buck.
Old 09-14-2003, 08:57 PM

Last season I spine shot a six point buck. It layed there throwing its head back, trying to get the arrow out(not a pretty sight[:' (]). I had to shoot it in the front of the chest (not the best angle) to put it down[X(]. He had spun around to face me, and I didn' t want him to lay there watching me []climb down( I was in a climber) and walk over to get a better angle.
In the videos, if it happens, they hurry up and turn the camera away so that we don' t see the result. All they show is the animal falling over. Nobody wants the the anti-hunters to see a spine shot animal thrashing its head around like that. I have heard of people giving up hunting after seeing this.
Old 09-14-2003, 10:34 PM

Ive hit one deer in the spine and hope to never see it again, it was awful and I luckily finished the job with another arrow within a few seconds. The vitals is the only way to responsibly take game, but accidents happen sometimes.
Old 09-15-2003, 03:22 AM
Boone & Crockett

Happened to me last year.I could not believe it.It was a 7 yard shot from my 150LB crossbow.I thought I was dreaming.I thought maybe the shock caused a heart failure.
Old 09-15-2003, 05:54 AM
Boone & Crockett

My first bowkill, a doe was a spine shot, she ducked/rocked back and the broadhead clipped the very tip of her shoulder blade and deflected into the spine and shattered it. It did sound just like what farm hunter said
The impact of a spine shot can sound like a 2x4 batted against a light pole
it was LOUD! She went down like I had shot her with a 30-30, there was no flipping around, but I had to put a second one through the heart to finish her quickly.
Old 09-15-2003, 06:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

I tend to agree with Matt 100%. Two of my four deer last season pretty much dropped in their tracks but that was because of the very scenario that Matt illustrated so eloquently in his first post.
Old 09-15-2003, 08:54 AM

I dropped a buck in his tracks once. I hit him right behind the shoulder quartering away. The arrow hit dead center the spinal cord where it come between the shoulders. I couldn' t pull my arrow out until I cleaned the deer. I had to unscrew the shaft and pull the broadhead out with pliers.

I am glad he dropped, but that wasn' t the shot I was looking for. I hit him too far forward.