Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Scent Containment Clothing," A Joke" ?

Old 09-17-2003, 07:04 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Scent Containment Clothing," A Joke" ?

Does a tree make any noise when it falls if nobody is around to hear it?
Old 09-17-2003, 08:26 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-17-2003, 10:25 PM

Whew! My first raction was that " PatapscoMike" slammed the door on the controversy. However, I will lay money that someone with no expertise in the activated carbon science will say or insinuate that " PatapscoMike" does not know which is the hole in the ground.

Old 09-18-2003, 06:37 AM

Look- you don' t have to be a scientist to know this stuff, you just have to be inquisitive. I hate to say it, but experience in the woods with a suit tells you nothing. Sounds stupid, I know, but in the woods there are no controls and it is impossible to be objective, which is the foundation of building real understanding of the truth.

Go to Google, type in " carbon desorbtion," and spend an hour reading. You will learn in no time the basics of what carbon is, how carbon works, what Van der Waals forces are and how they work, and how it can be desorbed. If you don' t have your mind made up before you start reading, you will learn a lot.

And don' t get me wrong, carbon suits can work. Probably as well or even better than an official cardeer necklace (no disrespect to cardeer, the man does things for others for free, which I respect tremendously). But those necklaces and a month old carbon suit both work on the same principle...
Old 09-18-2003, 06:48 AM
Super Moderator

Ok Cougar.....is that a " trick" question? Or do you have to be a scientist to figure it out?
Not really either one Bow. I was just trying to say that what works or seems to work for some, may not mean anything to others.

PatapscoMike, no offense meant, just my way of saying there is more than one view on a subject. Here it is.....what is your view on " scientific research" done on the Ozone layer? What I am getting at is this....despite evidence shown my many scientists that the depletion of the ozone layer has cause temperatures to be warmer in modern times, many other scientists dispute those views and/or research. That is what I am getting at in my own confusing-to-others-way in relation to whether scent containment suits work.

I guess in my own small way I will do my own reseach this hunting season by wearing my Windstopper Suprescent suit. I have never......repeat.....never had a mature(record class) come in downwind of me, enabling me to get a shot. I will find out, and I will be wearing my suit for more than a month.
Old 09-18-2003, 07:28 AM
Typical Buck

I think of all the nice bucks I' ve shot WITHOUT scent containment suits and the hundreds upon hundreds that were killed by average Joe hunters that were in the record books years before high-tech " scent-lock" was put on the market. Itis totally NOT necessary and is a marketing gimmick! But if you feel more secure wearing a condom then I guess you don' t have to pull out and you can remain deep in the bush without leaving a trace behind of your existence.
Old 09-18-2003, 10:08 AM

I guess in my own small way I will do my own reseach this hunting season by wearing my Windstopper Suprescent suit. I have never......repeat.....never had a mature(record class) come in downwind of me, enabling me to get a shot. I will find out, and I will be wearing my suit for more than a month.
Consider this- the biggest buck I have ever killed, a 155" Illinois 10 pt, came from directly downwind to some scent I had 15 yards from the tree I was in. If I had been wearing a brand new carbon suit that day, and if I didn' t know any better, I would probably swear for the rest of my life that carbon suits work like magic. After all, it would have been the suit that kept that buck from smelling me, right? Well, I didn' t have a suit on, and I still killed that buck. It doesn' t prove anything, and neither would it have proved anything had I been wearing a carbon suit...

And don' t worry, I have a thick skin and don' t take anything on a message board personally. It' s all in good fun, just a couple hunters debating the merits of a new technology. I hope everyone looks at things this way so we can get along and discuss stuff like this while being friendly. In the spirit of that statement, let me conclude by saying you are wrong, and possibly crazy, so let' s go hunting!
Old 09-19-2003, 03:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

I' m in total agreement that these things aren' t meant to be used by themselves as some " Magic Cloak" of invisibility, but I think we are all in agreement that they must work to some degree at containing scent?

The biggest question seemed to be whether or not they have a longevity and can be re-activated over and over, hence being WORTH the price tag they carry?

I am going to give them a try this season , and even though it might be impossible to tell if I have gained any advantage, or if the stuff has been re-activated etc. I am going to lean toward the side that says YES it should help, and I am going to treat it as another tool to ADD to my scent routine. Not by itself, but as an aded layer of protection..........I don' t think anyone out there would say that it could HURT.

The product that I just ordered is the " Scentblocker XT Underguard" system........a light weight liner shirt/pants to wear in the early season here when it always seems to be hot and sweaty. Light clothes mean less layers between your smelly armpits and the air.
I will also use it as a mid layer in cooler/cold temps as a barrier as well.

After talking personally with Keith @ Scentblocker via e-mail about this product and my concerns about re-activation etc., the fact that Keith has used the SAME set of regular " Underguard" for 3 or 4 seasons now.........AND HE WORKS THERE!, tells me that he trusts what he is saying about re-activation and the longevity of the product ( because he could probably just pick up a new set whenever he felt like doing so.)

Do I think every deer in the woods is gonna dance a polka while coming in downwind because they can' t smell me? Heck no.......What I am hoping is that after my usual scent-free routine that the liner system HELPS to contain any lingering body odor to lessen the OVERALL scent impact that I have by being there.
That' s all I expect it to do.

Old 09-19-2003, 03:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

The number one thing that helps a hunter is confidence, if one of these suits make a hunter more confident, than wear it! If it makes you sit on stand longer, or you maybe figure, " Well I will take a chance with the crosswind" or whatever and you wind up killing a deer, fine!

If you are a realist, or have been hunting deer successfully for over 20-30 years without these suits and experience tells you that if you know how to hunt the wind properly you do not need one of these suits, then do not get one! There are some folks who have hunted for 20-30 years who beleive that these suits make all the difference in the world, one of 2 things are happening here, either they have never quite understood the wind, or thier experience with the suits has been a figment of thier imagination!

Do these suits improve your chances? Yes! Do they make up for your mistakes enough to warrant thier cost? I personally doubt it, but if you think it does, go for it!
Old 09-19-2003, 04:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Taz,
I respect your position there.......but it doesn' t always have to be a mistake.

It' s November and you are calling or rattling and a big buck starts approaching. He knows WHERE the sound came from, but what' s he gonna do?
CIRCLE DOWNWIND to see what' s up. They do it more times than not.

How is a buck going to come to your Scent bomb or Mock Scrape? DOWNWIND. What else will be heading downwind with that sweet doe smell? Your sweaty armpits.[X(]
Wind swirls........might be steady in the right direction for most of the afternoon , but swirl now and then out of your control. Is it a MISTAKE to be hunting that stand?

You see what I' m getting at? Sure it' s common sense to play the wind right of the bat, but big bucks.........hell ANY deer don' t play fair.

If you agree that they give an advantage, but only in the case of mistake prone hunters I have to disagree wholeheartedly.

A buck circling your position for any reason or approaching your scent set-up is not a MISTAKE.....its hunting and it' s gonna be downwind. I want the advantage for that reason.

Quick Reply: Scent Containment Clothing," A Joke" ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.