Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Scent Containment Clothing," A Joke" ?

Old 09-17-2003, 06:02 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Scent Containment Clothing," A Joke" ?

good post atlasman Amen!!!!!
Old 09-17-2003, 07:19 AM
Typical Buck

Joke![X(][X(][X(]
Old 09-17-2003, 08:33 AM

Who said " people who dont wear scent blocker clothes are getting winded by deer all the time?
Matt said " It' s my opinion that most deer that have winded you you NEVER EVEN SEE, so you have no idea you' ve been busted."

Now I was in no way picking on Matt or anyone else for that matter. Maybe I exagerated what he said but we all know the arguement. I have heard it from guys that don' t even wear carbon suits but are still just scent freaks. Scent focused hunters believe it' s the deer you NEVER saw that you are missing out on..........and that cannot be proven. There is no way to say for certain that you didn' t see X number of deer on a particular day because your scent kept them away..........long before you could even catch a glimpse of them. It also can' t be proven that deer you see would have never showed up if you hadn' t been a scent fanatic........there is just no way of knowing FOR SURE. That is not a slam on scent suits..........it' s just the truth.

Hey I am all for keeping your scent to a minimum. IMO though this can only be achieved to a certain level. It is impossible to be scent free all day long. I believe you can eliminate the VAST majority of human scent by using the products available in many stores.

I wash all my hunting clothes and the towel I will use to dry off in the morning in scent free detergent. I dry them with scent free sheets in the dryer. I place them in a bag with earth wafers overnight. I wake up and shower with scent free soap washing my hair with it too.......get out and dry off with my descented towel and put on scent free deodorant and dress in my under clothes. I drive to our spot and get out of the truck....let my self air out for a couple minutes and then get dressed. I spray scent eliminator and earth scent on myself, my stand, my bow and I go in the woods. Once up in my stand I will clip a couple earth wafers to my clothes or a couple acorn wafers depending on what tree I am up. That sounds like a lot when I type it out and I in no way consider myself a scent freak. I will stop for coffee/muffin......and if time is short my routine suffers,........towards the end of the season I find myself just grabbing my stuff and going out.

Carbon suits definately won' t hurt you in the woods.......I just don' t think they help you either.
Old 09-17-2003, 09:27 AM
Typical Buck

There are many things that you can do to try and increase your odds that may or may not have a NOTICABLE effect.

For example, a yearling bucks reacts entirely different to an alarming scent, than a 3.5 year old would.
*Getting to your stand early
*Varying entrance and exit routes based on wind direction and deer activity
*Noiseless approaches and departures from stand locations
*Scent control
Those are all aspects that are almost impossible to guage effectiveness, but most serious, successful hunters will follow. I for one leave nothing to chance. Can I say that Scent Containment clothing works 100% for sure...No. Can I say that it doesn' t....absolutely not. I own my own land, hunt in several states each year, and do everything within my ability to insure the success of my hunt, whether it be entering a stand as silent as possible, not touching any brush or trees on the way in, after walking a 1/2 mile out of the way to avoid deer contact......or wearing scent control clothing. Until someone proves to me it doesn' t work, I' ll continue to use it and buy more in an attempt to add a few more percentage points to tilt the odds closer to my favor.

You also need to keep in mind that deer are completely different in many areas of the country. Where I live here in the U.P., deer are extremely wary, more so than any other area of the country I have hunted. Literally, around here, I have never had a deer walk downwind of me that didn' t spook, other than downwind so close to my stand that my scent blew over the deer. But, in WI, where I take the same scent control measures as around here, the deer seem oblivious to most downwind encounters. They seem almost dumb compared to our predator wary deer of the north.

If it might work, why not use it if you can?

Jeff...U.P. of Michigan
Old 09-17-2003, 10:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Becoming totally scent free is impossible so why spend $400 on a suit
So why do anything at all?????????????????????? No one is implying that you can eliminate 100% of odors by wearing a ScentLok suit. Just that you can greatly reduce the amount of scent your putting off. People keep saying your eye balls, breath etc. put off scent so why bother with Scent Lok....WTF?????? Simple, to cover up as much scent as possible. That' s like saying your eye balls are still going to smell so why bother taking a taking a bath. To eliminate as much scent as possible. I don' t care if you prefer scentlok or you think it' s a joke (I personally don' t use it) but at least for the sake of the discussion come up with some better arguements than that. No one has said that scent lok eliminates all odors, merely that ScentLok is helping them contain as much scent as possible. You think a deer has a better chance of smelling your eye balls or smelling your armpits, arse, crotch, hair and the whole nine yards?
Old 09-17-2003, 01:29 PM

I believe it works. Got mine for Christmas last year. The first day I used it I had three deer right under me. My stand is only nine feet off the ground. The deer never knew I was there. I have had deer that close before and not spook but really smell the air as if something wasn' t just right. With the sent lock they didn' t even check the wind. Even with no wind gravity will pull your sent down to the ground under you as the air cools in the evening. Even if it is not 100% it gives me a little more confidence that could be the difference.
Old 09-17-2003, 03:25 PM

One thing the author of that article never mentioned is how long it takes to bring activated carbon to the point that you have a leak through unless I missed it. but he said that for every pound of activated carbon there is 100 acres of surface well i would think that it would take quit awhile before it was saturated.

But on the other hand since the invention of the bow and arrow man kind has hunted deer for food or sport and for all but the last 5 years or so we never had activated carbon suits to wear and many ,many trophy deer have been taken without them so do you need one of these suits to get a trophy no absolutly not, but does it hurt you chances of getting a trophy absolutly not. So if you want one of these suits get one it' s your choice.

For me right now I can' t afford one some no I don' t want one but someday I will.
Old 09-17-2003, 04:20 PM

I started using carbon suits back in 1997. I have taken two really nice bucks while wearing it. Both these bucks should have had me winded dead nuts and didn' t even flinch when they got directly down wind from me.

Now saying that, I will admit that I am a fanatic with scent control. Soaps, detergents, deoderants, special zip lock bags and even the towel I dry off with is washed in scent wash. I also wear the scent lok liner under my scent blocker camo and high rubber boots( also sprayed with cover no scent).

However, here is the rub (no pun intended) I was a scent fanatic before I bought the carbon suits because I was being winded to often. Now I have yet to be winded by monster bucks and cautious does with fawns alike.

YES THEY WORK. AND THE BEST NEWS IS FOR EVERYONE BUT ME IS THAT THEY ARE MUCH LESS EXPENSIVE AND BETTER MADE THAN WHEN I BOUGHT MINE.

-Matthewsconquest
Old 09-17-2003, 05:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

YES THEY WORK. AND THE BEST NEWS IS FOR EVERYONE BUT ME IS THAT THEY ARE MUCH LESS EXPENSIVE AND BETTER MADE THAN WHEN I BOUGHT MINE.
Bravo! If anyone is paying $400 for a suit your not shopping around enough!

Check out scent-loks own web site , you can by stuff pretty cheap directly from them.
Old 09-17-2003, 05:55 PM

Well, I can try to show you all kinds of literature and research and technical data, but I am simply going to say to him " I' m not going to argue with you, I' m just telling you you' re wrong" . Once you understand how carbon works it gets a little easier. Carbon has the largest surface area per size of particle of just about anything. This surface area is where odor is adsorbed, and note I say ad, not ab. It' s not like a sponge, where it goes inside, the substance being adsorbed is attached to this huge surface - more like how smoke sticks to your windshield. It is held their by a physical force (Van der Waal' s). This force is easily broken by temperatures that your dryer can achieve - 100 to 150 degrees. What Corrigan was referring to is the high temperature required to break the chemical bond created when carbon adsorbs things like hazardous waste, etc.
My oh my- what a convenient argument " I' m just telling you you' re wrong" is... OK, look- I' m a scientist, and I use carbon all the time for all kinds of things, from filtering chemicals to filtering air to filtering fish tanks. Never, in any other application, do you even attempt to " reactivate" these by gentle heating. Why not? Because you need the carbon to work... I mean give me a break- to suggest broadly that " hazardous waste" sticks to carbon, but organics do not, is complete nonsense (no disrespect intended- but kedberg has been misinformed). For one thing, " hazardous waste" could be any of thousands of chemical compounds- some of which would turn the carbon to mush- so it' s ridiculous to even say something like that. For another thing, Van der Waals forces are NOT easily broken, ESPECIALLY when it comes to volatile organics such as those your skin releases. In fact, it' s unlikely that they will be desorbed at all at 150 degrees.

Yes, putting your clothing in the dryer will desorb the carbon somewhat of some of the sorbed particles. How much, or which of those particles, is anyones guess- in defense of the suit manufacturers (and lucky for them perhaps) it is a very difficult thing to test. But it absolutely, positively, without question will not do anything even remotely close to a true reactivation. Desorption, when done for scientific purposes, involves steaming the carbon while tumbling it for extended periods of time (much hotter and completely different type of process than simply putting it in a dryer). Blowing some warm air over your clothes does one thing, and one thing only- it helps sell carbon suits. Within days, or perhaps hours, unless the suit is sealed the carbon will lose effectiveness to the point of being worthless.

And that, my friends, is the rest of the story...

Quick Reply: Scent Containment Clothing," A Joke" ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.