Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Scent Containment Clothing," A Joke" ?

Old 09-16-2003, 08:04 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Scent Containment Clothing," A Joke" ?

Boys, not one single thing will bring us closer to nailing a big game animal. But using common sense, the wind, spraying down, containing our scent as much as possible collectively can help.

I do know this........a moderator on our website just very recently nailed a huge whitetail buck, one green scoring approximately 184. Because of pending buisness reasons he is involved in, he will not post the pics, but I have them. He is a good hunter and watches everything he does trying to minimize his scent, using the wind, good scouting, etc. He also is a strong believer in scent suppressing clothing. He does use a Scent-Lok liner along with military style scent suits. This is not the first story I have heard. Will wearing a suit give us all a shot at a nice buck? NO! But can it help? I believe absolutely so. Its just another tool we can choose to use at our discetion.
Old 09-16-2003, 08:16 PM
Fork Horn

I think the scent containment clothing is over rated. I wear my normal camo clothes but do pay attention to body scents. I wash my clothes in baking soda and shower with scentfree soaps. I believe they are going very commercial with all this stuff. As far as that goes, my bro-in-law hunts with me sometimes (gun) and he is a smoker and rreaps with the smell and smokes on stand, wears blue jeans and red flannel shirt and kills as many deer as the next guy.
Old 09-16-2003, 08:16 PM
Super Moderator

Matt, I would like to give equal time to Goretex....makers of Supprescent Windstopper and Goretex Supprescent clothing. I contacted Goretex earlier this spring to give them a chance to explain their version of scent containment clothing. Unfortunately I lost the information a representative of Goretex sent me personnally.

Since that time I have invested in Goretex Supprescent clothing and will be wearing it this season for the first time. Anyway, according to Goretex and the instructions on my garments, I can wash my clothes many times without losing any carbon particles because of their process of imbedding the carbon into the garment.

Also, according to Goretex, washing with unscented soaps and using the dryer will regenerate the carbon and allow human odors to be contained.

Again...no ad from me, just giving equal time to Goretex.
Old 09-16-2003, 08:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks Coug,
I would be interested to hear what Goretex has to say as well about their products.....like I hinted at here, I know DIDDLY SQUAT about these types of clothing so I am " Adsorbing" as much as I can...........get it..........ADsorbing?

I am hunting at least 4 states this season with some very important hunts in the mix........I would like every possible advantage I can put into my corner.

Old 09-16-2003, 09:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I do know this........a moderator on our website just very recently nailed a huge whitetail buck, one green scoring approximately 184.
How long are you mods gonna keep us hanging? At least the story would be nice!
Old 09-16-2003, 10:35 PM

Scentlock suits (and other deer hunting toys) remind me of the Simpsons episode where Lisa tells Homer that a rock on the ground could just as easily be given the credit for keeping bears out of town.........and not the massive bear patrol they were being taxed for. The truth was there just weren' t any bears in town.

Of course Homer offerd to buy the rock

To say that people who don' t wear scent blocker clothes are getting winded by deer all the time and just don' t know it simply can' t be proven........just like you can' t prove that peeing on the ground scares deer off....or rattling, bleats or grunts attract deer...after all if ONE sound or scent worked EVERY time we would all have them in or bags. Curiosity is an amazing thing and deer are loaded with it.........I' m sure we all have seen a deer respond dramatically to a scent or sound.......only to have other deer walk right by and ignore it totally. Becoming totally scent free is impossible so why spend $400 on a suit when you can accomplish the same thing with $20 worth of stuff from Cabela' s and your regular clothes? I am not sure how many of you guys read my thread on limb grease and how strong it smells.....WOW!! Last time I checked we will ALL have bows with us in the woods...so Scent Lock all you want and if you still have the factory limb grease in your pockets you are a walking chemical scent wick. I guess what I don' t understand about SCent Lock suits is they are not air tight right?? Now simple physics will reveal that when you move around the air inside your suit will be forced out not through the fabric but out the paths of least resistence.....the neck, arm and leg holes.........So you are just puffing body scent out anyways.

Unfortunately, deer hunters are burdened by the " What if" doubts that marketing companies prey on like coyotes.

Only deer hunters could be convinced that you must totally conceal EVERY aspect of your body in the purest camo possible in order to blend in to the woods so a deer can' t spot you............Then 6 weeks later these same people are out hunting the same animals glowing like the orange Michilan Man.....LOLOLOL

We are fed every hook line and sinker out there and we never stop biting.

I am sure scent lock clothes do absorb odors........I have had fish tanks for years and am well aware of the filtering power of carbon. They cannot IMO make you scent free so I do not see the justification for them when the same can be accomplished for much less money and agrivation.

Now if you will all excuse me I have to go get my rattle bag, can, JUMBO CAN, cover scent, scrape juice, scent wicks, doe pee, fox pee, coon pee, acorn spray, earth wafers, still steamin buck semen, grunt tube, cough silencer, Walker' s game ear, rangefinder, GPS, binocs, trail cam, camcorder, umbrella, face paint, wind puffer, hand warmers, camo, blaze orange, head net, razor ring broadheads, pee bottle, apples, peanut butter, picture decoy, Carbon Blast, ScentLock, Scent bag, UV killer, bug suit, Rut guide, Moon guide, back tension, Aero Foils, No Peep, bow sling, pendulum sight, vertical pins, fork tamers, drop away, limb savers, pruners, limb saw, fire tacks, game finder, game cart, deer cane, bio mass, talkabout, ......and oh yea my bow.

Now I am all set for the season

I am gonna need bigger side bags on my Summit I think
Old 09-16-2003, 10:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

To say that people who don' t wear scent blocker clothes are getting winded by deer all the time and just don' t know it simply can' t be proven........

Who said " people who dont wear scent blocker clothes are getting winded by deer all the time?

And the fact that people , regardless of what they wear , getting winded by deer they dont see , cant be proven , is a lame arguement in my opinion!

Fact is , thousands of hunters use products to try and better their chances. Those who choose not to use scent containment clothing probably use or do other things to gain an advantage that yet other hunters find ridiculous. The old arguement " Ive hunted for years without it and seen plenty of deer" doesn' t hold water with anyone who chooses to purchase scent containment clothing to better their odds. Most people who use it have also seen plenty of deer without it. Most people who use it (including myself) will testify to having deer down wind and remaining undetected.
Choose a product , any product , and someone here could probably give a long winded report on why that product is a joke and yet others will testify that the product is great.

Use whatever you feel will give you an advantage in the pursuit of your trophy! Be it a rabbits foot in your pocket or that new and improved scent that hit the market. If it gives you the confidence then go for it!
Old 09-16-2003, 11:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Now if you will all excuse me I have to go get my rattle bag, can, JUMBO CAN, cover scent, scrape juice, scent wicks, doe pee, fox pee, coon pee, acorn spray, earth wafers, still steamin buck semen, grunt tube, cough silencer, Walker' s game ear, rangefinder, GPS, binocs, trail cam, camcorder, umbrella, face paint, wind puffer, hand warmers, camo, blaze orange, head net, razor ring broadheads, pee bottle, apples, peanut butter, picture decoy, Carbon Blast, ScentLock, Scent bag, UV killer, bug suit, Rut guide, Moon guide, back tension, Aero Foils, No Peep, bow sling, pendulum sight, vertical pins, fork tamers, drop away, limb savers, pruners, limb saw, fire tacks, game finder, game cart, deer cane, bio mass, talkabout, ......and oh yea my bow.

Now I am all set for the season

I am gonna need bigger side bags on my Summit I think
You forgot your arrows[]
Old 09-17-2003, 03:56 AM

This is something that will be tossed back and forth for years to come. Bottom line is if you can afford it and it works for you, then use it. We all have little tricks that we use, that someone else may think is off the wall. Hey, but that don' t keep me from using it. What works for me may not work for you.

And yes I do use scentloc.

13 days and a wake up til my season gets here. Time is real cruel sometimes. Tick-Tock,Tick-Tock
Old 09-17-2003, 04:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

But when I compare the cost of my suit to all the other expensive of travel, license, gas, lodging, equipment - it is actually rather small relatively speaking.
Tell that to my wife .

Quick Reply: Scent Containment Clothing," A Joke" ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.