Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Scent Containment Clothing," A Joke" ?

Old 09-15-2003, 08:59 PM

Default RE: Scent Containment Clothing," A Joke" ?

i personally dont wear or owns a suit but if i had the cash i would buy one. I think it would be easier to cover up your sent instead of eliminating it wouldnt it? Like by rollin in the mud or whatever you wanna do lol. Like the coon urin and other cover sents. I personally use this earth sent stuff that i like. Mainly because it smells good oh well, i dont even play the wind that much. I may not be as productive as others but i can get the job done.
Old 09-15-2003, 11:25 PM

I prefer NOT to use a cover scent. deer can smell more than one thing at a time.
I wonder...does the deer simply think. Hmmm There' s one of them hunter types that stands on 2 legs....smells like he stood too close to a coon and scared the piss out of him![]
I just try to emiminate any odor I can...I don' t think it' s possible to eliminate breath...so I will at least try to eat stuff I think a deer wouldn' t mind smelling. Peatun butter, and apples. Not cuase it' s a " cover" scent...your breath is gonna smell like SOMETHING...might as well be apples and peanut butter
Old 09-16-2003, 12:25 AM

Excerpt from technical paper on regenerating activated charcoal vs. adsorption:

Thermal regeneration

" By pyrolysis and burning off adsorbed organic substances. In order to avoid igniting the carbon, it is heated to about 800 °C (1472 °F) in a controlled atmosphere. This is the widely used method and regenerates the carbon very well, but it has two disadvantages: it requires considerable investment in either a multiple-hearth furnace and it causes high carbon losses."

Until an independent (unbiased) study is done, it obviously will remain a " Mexican standoff" regarding the effectiveness of activated charcoal clothing. Considering body odor is also emitted through the mouth, nose, and eyes, I will save my money until the jury is in and the effectiveness and reusability of the clothing is found to be genuine.

Old 09-16-2003, 06:24 AM

Pete, we do have the sticker on most of our garments that encourages the user to wash it at least once to begin with. That is because we had people buying it off the rack, taking the labels off, and literally going hunting with it without getting it clean or activating the carbon in the first place. We just encourage minimal washing so that the carbon is mostly retained. And Tom, next time you run a marathon, take it off first! Matt, you are exactly correct - the way that human odor is adsorbed and held by the carbon is much different than the way other odors and chemical substances are adsorbed. It is a much weaker bond and is broken, and therefore odor released, very well in the lower temperatures of your home dryer.
Keith
Old 09-16-2003, 06:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

Keith sent me a follow up e-mail which contains a FAQ about their " Scentblocker" clothing. I will attempt to copy it here for everyone else as well.
Thanks again Keith!

Frequently Asked Questions on Scentblocker

1. Do I need to treat my suit with UV Killer?

You do not have to treat your Scentblocker suit with a UV Killer. Most camouflage clothing, including Scentblocker, is not made with UV reflective dyes, nor do our clothing detergents add these dyes. Some commercial detergents do however, so be careful to use only detergents recommended for use with Scentblocker clothing.

2. How is your carbon fabric made?

This is a very technical process whereby the activated carbon is attached to a non-woven fabric via a slurry process using chemical binders. It is not glued fast to the fabric, therefore making it more breathable, and also allowing the odor to flow to and around the carbon and be adsorbed.

3. Can I spray cover scent like earth or coon on my suit?

You may use cover scents while hunting, but don’t spray them on your Scentblocker outfit. You will be defeating your purpose, as the carbon will adsorb much of this odor, and there will be less adsorption capability for human odor. Same thing applies to storing your SB+ clothing in with dirt, leaves, etc.

4. Can I wash my suit?

We recommend washing it once, the first time before wearing, as this will remove any hand oils and odors from the outer camo fabric and liners. After that, wash only as absolutely necessary, as in when it becomes soiled with mud, blood, or other material. Hand wash with recommended detergent in cold water. This will prolong the life of your suit by maintaining as much of the original carbon as possible for maximum scent adsorption.

5. How do I reactivate my suit?

Regeneration of your Scentblocker suit varies a great deal with the individual and the way it is used. We generally recommend every 20 – 40 hours of use, but if you are someone who puts off a lot of body odor or are wearing it during more active hunts (climbing, long hikes to stand, etc), then regenerate more often. If you carry your suit in your pack till you get to your stand, then hunt motionless for a few hours, you are not filling the suit as quickly. We recommend 30 minutes in the dryer; high heat normally, but low heat for garments with a waterproof/breathable membrane.

6. Will my suit work in the rain or when wet?

Rain will not affect the adsorption performance of your Scentblocker suit. It works well in hot, cold, wet, or dry conditions. You might consider one of our waterproof breathable garments for hunting in consistently wet conditions.

7. What if I’m hunting for a week and don’t have access to a dryer?

When on a long trip where regeneration is impossible, we recommend wearing it only when you will be close to animals or in the actual hunting mode. Don’t wear it when you are hiking a long way to get to the hunting area, or wear it casually when not hunting, as in riding in your vehicle or around camp. This is your best chance of prolonging the activation of your suit. Also, by treating your undergarments and insulating layers with Scent Shield or similar product, and changing them often, these inner layers will pick up much of your odor. Better yet, bring a spare Scentblocker suit!

8. How do I store my suit?

The best way to store during hunting season is in a Scentblocker storage duffel. This bag is lined with activated carbon as well, and will help adsorb odors off the outside of your suit that you may have accidentally picked up by handling or touching something. Next best thing would be a scent-free tight-sealing container, such as a Rubbermaid Action Packer or cooler. Finally, a clear plastic bag works well, as long as you watch for tears.

9. Can I just wear my suit and not worry about other things?

If we all knew exactly which way the animals were going to always move, and if the wind never switched, we could possibly do well without scent control of some kind. Knowing that that never happens though, I prefer to do whatever I can to help control my odor. While not 100% foolproof, when used properly, Scentblocker can be an awesome component in getting close to game animals and providing you with good opportunities. However, it must be cared for (see care instructions) and used properly. It is an all or nothing proposition. You can’t expect to have this suit be a magical potion if you are not doing everything else in your power to keep yourself and your equipment scent-free. This means getting dressed outside your vehicle with clothing sealed in an air-tight container. It means wearing boots that only ever see the woods and the inside of the container, not worn in your vehicle. It means a clean body and hair to start with, and spraying your equipment with Scent Shield or Carbon Blast. One of the most important elements that most people overlook is the head region. They say they can’t hear as well or can’t get used to anchoring well using a hood or headcover or breath shield, but this is one of the most crucial elements. This is because a high percentage of your body heat is lost through the head, and correspondingly a high percentage of body odor goes out through the top as well, including from our breath, up around our neck, and the hair and top of our heads. That is why almost all of our suits come with a carbon hood and built-in removable carbon breath shield. If you don’t use this, at least use a separate carbon headcover and carbon ball cap, both of which we offer in many styles. When used properly, it is a joy to have animals in close, not detecting your presence or detecting something but not knowing what or how close or recent the scent was deposited, allowing the chance for a good shot.
Old 09-16-2003, 07:13 AM
Typical Buck

Geez...what a waste of time, energy, and money! It costs too much, takes too much work, and can' t be proved to work anyway. I' ve killed plenty of deer including some nice bucks and never touched a piece of carbon clothing. Scent shield on top of scent lock clothing...boy oh boy...there is a sucker born every minute! I have experienced plenty of " joy" with animals at arm' s length hunting off the ground, not detecting my presence. But if it makes a hunter feel more confident then I guess more power to ' em. But to answer the original question...imo it is a joke.
Old 09-16-2003, 01:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Ok We heard from Keith at " Scentblocker" .......I guess we' ll give " Scent Lok" their chance to also refute the claims in the original link to Mr. Corrigan' s article.
It' s a biggie, so settle in.
I personally like to be as informed as possible on my purchases or non-purchases, so I find this stuff very interesting especially since I have been considering my first Scent Containment Clothing purchase.

Do Carbon Suits Really Work? ABSOLUTELY!

Sometimes an idea or an invention comes along and radically changes things that have always been considered unchangeable. Such was the case over ten years ago when a somewhat frustrated bowhunter had the vision to create a hunting suit using activated carbon to filter human odor. Since that time the idea has morphed into an entire multi-million dollar industry that is dedicated to products that big game hunters are successfully using around the world.

History also shows that these revolutionary ideas are often challenged by “nay-sayers” who claim that such radical change is just not possible. Fortunately due to the scent control products available to hunters today, most of the doubting Thomas’s from the past are now wearing their very own scent elimination suits, because yes, they certainly do work.

I was a “nay-sayer” myself years ago when I walked into a small local sporting goods store in early fall and saw a cluster of deer hunters talking to some guy about a “charcoal” suit that allowed you to get away with whitetails downwind.
I looked at the stuff, grinned and walked on and thought to myself, “What a bunch of baloney.” I had been busted hundreds of times and knew as well as anybody that it was nearly impossible to have deer get downwind and not snort their way out of the county.

No, we all had this window of opportunity in front of our tree stand into the prevailing wind that was the only direction any deer was ever going to come. That area behind me, well, you might as well never look behind you, downwind because nothing and I mean nothing was ever going to approach my stand from downwind except another hunter.

Well, the guy with the carbon suit just happened to be Greg Sesselmann, inventor of the activated carbon hunting apparel technology. Greg was born and raised in Muskegon, Michigan which has a tremendous amount of whitetail deer and whitetail deer hunters. Greg was a graduate of Michigan Tech University where he earned a B.S. degree in metallurgy and material science. Greg was a good student with a degree in science and at the same time was a dreamer. The time that was spent in the tree stand like many of us, was the best time to let the mind wander, unwind and probe the creative sides of our brain. Who hasn’t solved the world’s problems, at least in our own minds while sitting in a tree stand or hunting blind.

Greg’s archery skills were limited at best; not knowing then how to tune a bow, didn’t use a trigger release and still shot right handed (he is left eye dominant) all stacked up to a 20-22 yard confidence range. It was and still is all about getting close. The closer you get the bigger the thrill and the better your chance of eliminating error potentials for a clean and successful kill.

Greg tried all of the powders, soaps, sprays, and cover scents. He would douse himself with baking soda. He had a bit of success and occasionally had deer pass by without being spooked. But he was paying a high price and spent far too much time and money on preparation. That preparation time could mean more time in the stand and less time in the bathroom getting “de-scented”.

As fate would have it, Greg’s career in the automotive product research field had him studying the effects of activated carbon on various filter applications. He learned that activated carbon was being used in many, many industries to filter everything from airborne odors, chemical and environmental cleanup programs and even in the dry cleaning business to filter fluids. As a scientist, Greg dove deep into the molecular level of activated carbon. It was an amazing scientific process that he studied called adsorption. At the molecular level Greg saw that activated carbon was like a sponge that could perform miraculously, even to the point of being given orally to patients who had swallowed poison so that toxins were adsorbed into the carbon and pass safely through the body.

One night as hunting season was upon us, Greg was busy preparing his scent-free concoctions for the following days hunt. He thought if only I could cover my body in some sort of human odor filter……HOLY COW! Greg’s mind raced and his face lit up as he theorized that maybe, just maybe he could incorporate a carbon lining into his hunting suit. As an entrepreneur he envisioned every deer hunter in America as a potential customer for this idea.

At first he realized that as a scientist, he had to prove his theory in the lab before he went too far. A good scientist seeks data that can be challenged and tested. He needs the tests to be able to be repeated time after time, correlating results and measuring and testing all aspects of the theory. Lab data of this nature is analytical data. It’s the black and white facts that are the result of repetitious testing and measuring of scientific results.

In addition, field data and personal observations are also necessary especially when developing a product targeted at the general consumer and in this case, wild animals. This type of data is called empirical data. Then the analytical lab results needed to be correlated to copious amounts of field (empirical) results. Finally a minimum adsorption standard could be developed to ensure all products developed would meet or exceed the minimum throughout its life – guaranteeing happy customers.

Odor can be readily adsorbed within the microscopic pore structure of activated carbon. Greg and the technical experts working with Greg studied human odor and found that the human body produces over 300 components that make up human odor. He consulted with the perfume industry to learn more about how human scent reacts and can be modified while creating fragrances. They studied test methods; for as a good scientist you must be able to measure results with the right kind of equipment. He learned about the use of gas chromatography and mass spectrometry which can be used to measure in parts per billion, the presence and type of molecular compounds in controlled situations.

He also learned that activated carbon has a capacity, that when heated at various temperatures could dispel previously adsorbed molecules and open up capacity to adsorb again, and again. This is called regeneration; however, we’ve coined the term “reactivation” for better consumer understanding.

Activated carbon is produced when various types of wood or shells are burned at high temperature in a controlled oxygen poor environment. Greg’s theory was that a household dryer could be used to take fabrics that were saturated with odors and open enough capacity for continuous adsorption. The testing data showed that carbon did not need to be heated at the extreme high temperature range for adsorbing more odors. The only need to reach the highest temperature ranges approaching 900 degrees was to desorb to 100%, meaning that every last molecule of anything was expelled from the carbon. This is not necessary.

In lay terms, the process of desorbing activated carbon can be illustrated by a sponge. If a sponge is in a saturated, it drips out the bottom the same amount of water that is being dripped into it. The same amount coming in as the same amount going out.

Now take that sponge and squeeze it with your hand. All of a sudden, the capacity to absorb water is once again very high. You can easily use the wet sponge to pick up a puddle of water, until it is saturated and can no longer hold more water. The sponge needs to be squeezed in order to open more capacity to soak up the spill again.

That’s the same type of action that occurs when the household dryer “squeezes” out a little more capacity for adsorbing odor. The household dryer temperature of 150 degrees is enough to regenerate much of the suit’s capacity. After the carbon fabric has been “squeezed” to 150 degrees it can now adsorb more human odor. Higher temperatures would definitely reduce the residual contaminants adsorbed into the carbon, but it is not necessary for the suit’s field success.

Now was the time to collect field data. Greg at the time chose some of the more knowledgeable and experienced hunters he could find to find out how deer would react when downwind in the field. And how would deer react after the suits had become fully saturated with human odor. And finally, how would they react after test garments were regenerated through a home dryer process.

Well, needless to say, the test garments did work. As a matter of fact they worked so well that many times, deer were literally within arms reach downwind of the stealthiest hunters. But even with the breakthrough in technology the story was just beginning. It took Greg and his partner, George Schrink years of hard work and dedication to expose the scent elimination technology to the legions of hunters, one at a time, face to face, always with an assurance that their product would allow hunters to get closer than ever, undetected if they would carefully follow the basic steps.

And as they say, the rest is history. As for me, I ended up joining the company and ever since I started properly using Scent-Lok, I have never been busted by a whitetail or any other big game animals. It simply does what it says. It works.

Our claims

We have never claimed that our activated carbon suits can be totally desorbed because we know that it practically will not happen. What we do claim is that with the temperature range of the typical household dryer, enough desorption, or reactivation occurs to allow human odor to be attracted again into the porous molecular level of the carbon. Our products have been engineered to allow hunters to go undetected and that the capacity to absorb human odors is available for approximately 40 hours of typical field use. We also know that the life expectancy of these products will typically give hunters excellent results for several years, depending on frequency of use and various other factors.

We have never claimed to adsorb 100% of human odor. (Even your eyeballs have some odor to them.) What we do know is that the amount of odor adsorbed is acceptable to a level of 3 to four times what a typical whitetail will tolerate before spooking. Our years of data collection and correlation on scent adsorption clearly shows the threshold necessary to overcome the smell receptors of whitetails and other big game animals and thus our products are engineered and tested in the lab to adsorb at this high level even after 20 wash and dry cycles and substantially more before the end of the life of the garment.

We have thoroughly and diligently studied human odor and know that there are over 300 different odors produced by the body having different molecular compositions and dimensions. Of that only about half have been positively identified. However all of them are very susceptible to being adsorbed by activated carbon, unfortunately the same cannot be said of cyclodextrins. Cyclodextrin typically has a ring structure in one of three sizes. Molecules such as water and odor are adsorbed by cyclodextrin only if the molecule is of the correct size and dimension. In other words, only molecules which are smaller than the opening of the cyclodextrin ring, but not too small to pass entirely through the ring will be adsorbed by cyclodextrin. Any molecule that doesn’t fit exactly into three molecular sizes either pass through the ring or bounce off and are not adsorbed. Furthermore, water displaces odors adsorbed by cyclodextrins meaning rain or perspiration will cause odors to be released in the field under wet conditions.

In regards to anti-microbial fabric’s claims of scent elimination, anti-microbials do nothing to adsorb odors. They can reduce the proliferation of bacteria which are the source of some odors, but do nothing to reduce or eliminate odors produced by resident bacteria or the hundreds of other non-bacteria related human odors. Anti-microbials do not attack the existing odors, at best they only slow the growth or propagation of some of the existing odors.

Field Results

Our products have enormous field experience. Our suits have been challenged by virtually every experience level of hunter from beginner to professional status career hunters. They have been tested on virtually every continent on every type of big game or scent-wary critter. We have such an enormous amount of empirical data that it simply cannot be denied.

We have been duly challenged by engineers, chemists and others similarly and see that once they first do some research and secondly analyze the data –both analytical and empirical and finally field test the products themselves, they become our best supporters and pro-ponents.

Marketing a Scientific Product

We make no apologies for aggressively marketing our products, our brand and our commitment to being the best hunting company in the world. We have a small number of writers and industry professionals that we compensate financially for being part of our product review and development team only. We receive requests and testimonies from hundreds of other dedicated hunters, writers, outfitters and industry leaders who support our products because they have experienced firsthand, the ability to avoid detection not because of any compensation. Many publishers prefer to tone down claims and product mentions to avoid commercializing featured articles, but most if not all have chosen to promote the scent-elimination industry because its has been tested, verified and continues to provide value to hunters who choose to wear and use it properly.

Our Dealers

We are proud of the growth and distribution that we have throughout the country with our dealer network. We are proud that organizations such as Cabela’s, Bass Pro Shops, Gander Mountain Stores, Dick’s Sporting Goods, Galyan’s and thousands of independent dealers and consumers across the continent are successful with our product and technology. Virtually every TV crew in the business demands that their valuable camera time include scent-elimination garments for every member of their crew. We have even been challenged by dog owners and deer farm operators who have been skeptical and tested our technology themselves all to their satisfaction.

This technology would have been destroyed long ago by the people and organizations who keep our industry at the highest level of integrity if our products and technology did not work. We expect more and more hunters to experience and enjoy the wonderful results of big game hunting with scent-eliminating garments.

For more information contact:

Mike Andrews
VP Marketing- Scent-Lok Technologies
800-315-5799

Old 09-16-2003, 05:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the info Matt!

A little education on the subject will go a long ways for those who are interested but sceptical!
Old 09-16-2003, 06:51 PM

this is a very interesting and conflicted? subjected. Where i hunt, on some days, i could probably splash a little desel fuel on me and go out and kill a deer. When there are tons of tractors, trucks and people out in the feilds the scent problem becomes less of an issue. I hunt in a place with many feilds and many atv trails in the woods so the deer are fairly used to people. But without a doubt i beleive the carbon suit gives you a big advantage if you use it properly.
Old 09-16-2003, 07:20 PM

At first he realized that as a scientist, he had to prove his theory in the lab before he went too far. A good scientist seeks data that can be challenged and tested. He needs the tests to be able to be repeated time after time, correlating results and measuring and testing all aspects of the theory. Lab data of this nature is analytical data. It’s the black and white facts that are the result of repetitious testing and measuring of scientific results.
Still waiting........................................... ..................................

Did you guys write this stuff down or what

Quick Reply: Scent Containment Clothing," A Joke" ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.