Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Scent Containment Clothing," A Joke" ?

Old 09-15-2003, 02:13 PM

Default RE: Scent Containment Clothing," A Joke" ?

I personally do not use any scent loc type suits. I do not believe that they work as advertised. I do agree that they dont hurt but for the money you spend I dont see any great advantages. Ive read some replys here about people that say they were never winded in years of hunting. Well Ive been hunting for 23 years now and I cant say the same thing. Ive been busted several times and then there were times that the deer were directly down wind and I felt that I was done but the deer never reacted. If you honestly never have been winded then you are a very lucky hunter or are not being truthful.
Old 09-15-2003, 02:18 PM
Super Moderator

If you honestly never have been winded then you are a very lucky hunter or are not being truthful.
I totally agree.
Old 09-15-2003, 02:58 PM

I have purchased many " chemical suites" from sportsmansguide and for one i think they work... but there only 15 dollars due to military issue. Buy one, throw camo over it and hunt. It in my eyes has worked and its cheap.
Old 09-15-2003, 03:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have been hunting for the last 8 yrs and have never wore a scent suit or any of the scent cover up, and i have never been winded. So save your money, I just hang my clothes out side after i pull them out of storage and let them air out.
It' s my opinion that most deer that have winded you you NEVER EVEN SEE, so you have no idea you' ve been busted.
I feel it' s IMPOSSIBLE to say that you' ve never been busted because I' d be willing to bet EVERY hunter has been winded more times than they care to even think about and have no clue the animal they are hunting is LONG GONE.

I believe these products do work.....as with anything,the latest bows, broadheads, sights stands etc etc aren' t " Magic bullets" but if used properly in conjunction with sound technique and practice they can be a HUGE asset.
I feel the same about these types of clothing.......Why worry about the latest greates piece of archery gear, if you aren' t going to use every advantage at your disposal to even SEE the animal you are after in the first place.
A good sound scent control regime of showering, deoderants and cover scents is great.......add an additional step of Scent control clothing and it can only enhance what you are already trying to do.
Plus.....with our busy schedules and lives who here all has time to rush home from work and SHOWER everytime out?
I would think in those cases where its just not possible some Scent Shield spray, a quick hit of Scent free deoderant and a product like " Scentblocker" clothing is a much better alternative and gonna put you way ahead of the game had you just went right out in your regular clothing stinking the place up.
Old 09-15-2003, 04:26 PM

Hi guys. My name is Keith and I work for Robinson Outdoors. We make Scentblocker clothing. I' m not in the sales end of it, I' m more in the operations part, and I deal with procuring the carbon, etc. Don' t worry, I' m not going to try to convince anyone to buy anything, but I do want to talk about the technology. I remember when I managed the Compound Doctor Archery Pro Shop here in Minnesota many years ago when ScentLok first came out. I and many of my customers had our doubts then, but not any longer. I' ve done a lot of the research now and spoken to the experts - the chemists and PhD' s. There is no disputing the fact that carbon is still the most adsorbent material we know of to date. It does everything from filter our water to remove colors from solutions to adsorbing odor. There simply is no denying it - this is fact. Now the big question it seems to me is that this Corrigan fellow claims they might work originally, but can' t be " re-activated" with the temperatures obtained by our home dryers. Well, I can try to show you all kinds of literature and research and technical data, but I am simply going to say to him " I' m not going to argue with you, I' m just telling you you' re wrong" . Once you understand how carbon works it gets a little easier. Carbon has the largest surface area per size of particle of just about anything. This surface area is where odor is adsorbed, and note I say ad, not ab. It' s not like a sponge, where it goes inside, the substance being adsorbed is attached to this huge surface - more like how smoke sticks to your windshield. It is held their by a physical force (Van der Waal' s). This force is easily broken by temperatures that your dryer can achieve - 100 to 150 degrees. What Corrigan was referring to is the high temperature required to break the chemical bond created when carbon adsorbs things like hazardous waste, etc. I know I' ve gotten a little technical, and again, I' m not trying to convince anyone to run out and buy a suit. I' ll agree, they are expensive. But when I compare the cost of my suit to all the other expensive of travel, license, gas, lodging, equipment - it is actually rather small relatively speaking. And, since I can' t always predict which side of the darn tree the bucks are always going to walk on (if I could, then I might be able to just play the wind), especially when the rut is on, then I am going to do everything I can to give myself a better chance at mature animals. I agree, often you can get away with stuff on immature critters, but to consistently see and kill big, mature bucks, I need every advantage I can get. Aside from the technical aspect, I know they work simply because I am seeing and killing bigger bucks now than before I used carbon clothing, and I hunt the same spots. So, good luck everyone. Have a great season. Keith
Old 09-15-2003, 06:13 PM

Thanks Keith I' m sure that will stop this thread in it' s tracks I' m not rushing into the works, won' t work aspect, I' d just like to say to those who say they have never been busted you are wrong[] You' ve been busted more times than you can imagine. Just because you don' t hear the deer blow and tear through the brush like a bulldozer doesn' t mean you have never been busted
Old 09-15-2003, 06:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Keith,
I for one would like to thank you for taking the time to respond from a manufacturers point of view. I know its hard to be impartial but your explanation was clear and consise, and as I figured after reading that original " Article" there HAD to be more to this story.
So if I get what you are saying correctly, what Mr. Corrigan is stating in that study IS true but doesn' t apply to the nature of Human Scent and how it is contained in these types of clothes? That a Chemical reaction and a Physical one can' t even be compared?
Pretty cool........learn something new everyday! I should have payed more attention in my College Physics classes.

Again thanks for joining our discussion, we always enjoy having the " Horse' s Mouth" to talk to.
Old 09-15-2003, 06:51 PM

Kieth

Nice to hear from someone from the company

Can I ask a question ? I wore my suit about 14-16 days total.... put it through the dryer about 5 times....

I bought some Carbon Clothes Wash ( Robinson Labs) and washed my suit yesterday........ Do I loose much effectiveness ??

Just curious - I love the suit... I figure it has to help regardless...... but curious as to your response. I washed it becuase I got pretty balmy last time I wore it after running to get help to drag out a deer !

Thanks Kieth
Tom
Old 09-15-2003, 08:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

EightWgt,
I already took advantage of Keith' s help via e-mail concerning the " Scentblocker" stuff because I have ZERO knowledge of how to care for it properly........here' s a reply to an email I sent him that I think outlines what you wish to know. I would probably have ruined it in one day.

" Matt,
On the Scentblocker stuff, here is what I do. Since we don' t glue most of our carbon in, it is a little more susceptible to coming out with repeated washings (that' s also why it works so well to adsorb and why it is more breathable). Since I want to keep every bit of carbon in the garment that it starts with, I take a new garment and air it out on the line for several days to get any odor off the outer camo fabric instead of washing it. During this time I will also spray some Scent Shield on the outside for those times when I might handle it and my hands are not completely clean. Then I activate in the dryer and store it scent free until time to hunt. If you soil it with blood or mud, then wash, but hand wash in cold water and the loss of carbon fines will be minimal. Good luck Matt.
Keith

Old 09-15-2003, 08:28 PM

Matt,

Thanks for posting the reply you received regarding care of the scentblocker stuff. I am confused about one thing: I bought a set of the Scentblocker Plus Outfitter jacket/pants, and there are stickers on the clothing that say " you MUST wash this clothing, then dry it, to activate it." Sounds like you were told something different.

Pete

Quick Reply: Scent Containment Clothing," A Joke" ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.