Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Best stand location?

Old 09-09-2003, 04:54 PM

Default RE: Best stand location?

Thanks for your insight Bowdacious, I' ll be sure to check that out tomorrow....I am excited, season starts in 22 days!!
Old 09-09-2003, 05:00 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-09-2003, 05:14 PM
Typical Buck

The red dots are funnels worth checking out. The one to the east isn' t as pleasing but may be good durring the rut or D-Day.
The Green is the inside corner deer from the north will most likely use if they' re feeding in that field.
The blue spot constricks deer movement and forces them to go around the lake. The shortest distence from that big section of woods to the fields is threw that point. Also will make for a good spot the first day of gun when the boys from the south east side start dropping bombs on brown objects.

I liked everyones input so far! I wish we could see the south end. Good luck!!!

Old 09-09-2003, 05:32 PM

Here is a southern shot of the same fields

This shot is right off the bottom of those fields, the top of the photo being a little woodline between the northern shots. Looks to be a little funnel where the water reaches in on the east, cant go any further south, less I become the hunted via 7.62 NATO rounds Thanks again for the info I will have to put on the walkin shoes tomorrow!!

Btw, I don' t know what the little field is off to the west, look like a good bedding area?
Old 09-09-2003, 06:06 PM

Funny how different styles look at land differently. If this land see' s some pressure. I will bet you all those funnels are covered in stands and get hunted hard. If this was land I were to hunt in my area I would leave the field alone and get in on the other side of the river.

I don' t know how deep it is but the blue lines look like easy crossings to me - and deer have No problem crossing shallow streams on a daily basis. I would concentrate on the thick areas east of the river - and let all the yahoos fight over the pretty woods along that field.

If you can' t get in from the west these are probably better evening stands than morning. But I would still try to get in there early a couple mornings and stay all day.

Juat another view
Old 09-09-2003, 06:26 PM

I think the most pressure comes from the northern and eastern areas of the park, there is a national cemetery on the other side of the highway (northern side) where the deer know they are safe [:@], they come across the highway to get into some thick evergreens and bed. As I said before this is a 3000 acre park with another 5 or 6K or better on the southern and eastern side, which is all National Guard training ground. I have seen one huge buck jump the 10 foot fence that borders the park (going into the National Guard side) it was a very impressive sight. There is also a big campground in the center of the park which is somewhat visible in the second pic, you can see the circular driveways north of the big lake. I picked this spot because of the food available and it is in the very back of the park. The river is probably 20 to 40 feet wide and 5 to 6 foot deep. Access to the west of the river would require some serious foot travel (or the backstroke) ie 2 miles or better. Hate to have to drag my buck that far.
Old 09-09-2003, 07:27 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]