Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Getting the creeps.

Old 09-08-2003, 10:03 PM
dpv
Typical Buck

Default Getting the creeps.

Since opening day is less than a month away I am looking forward to getting up at 3 am and going thru the morning ritual of driving out to my spot, putting on my camo in the dark walking thru the woods with a flashlight to find my reflective stickers and climbing a tree in the dark. Then sitting in that tree for about an hour before first light. More than once, I have gotten the heebie-jeebies while out in the woods either at night or in the morning. Like most of you, I hunt alone.
I' m not worried about the bugs, the snakes(oh dear God do I HATE snakes!!) the cold or rain. But for some reason I have already felt a small amount of dread about walking thru the woods in the dark.

David
Old 09-08-2003, 10:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Getting the creeps.

i have had that feeling before as well. i can' t wait for first light on those mornings.
Old 09-08-2003, 10:24 PM

I have to agree, I hate the woods at night, dont know why I just do. I gues thats why I dont coon hunt. For years when I was younger I didnt like to hunt evenings cause I didnt like to walk out after dark, I always left early, never had much luck that way. But about 5 years ago I started making myself stay until dark and toughing it out. Im used to it now and it dont bother me much anymore, but every now and then I still get a little boogered when I dont have my light out of my pack.
Old 09-08-2003, 10:44 PM

Ok..I confess, I think it' s creepy also, Noy so bad once I get in my tree stand. Have you ever watched the blair witch movie the night before a hunt[>:] I did, Wicked creepy man. Try it!
Old 09-08-2003, 10:57 PM

No kidding, about a week after I watched that movie I got to hunt a new spot that I had never been to. I was given directions to my stand and dropped off before daylight. On the way there I came up on an old abandoned house place and it even looked like the one in the movie and I had to walk right past it with no flashlight[], talk about the heebie-jeebies. I still hunt there but thank god the farmer tore the house down the next spring.
Old 09-08-2003, 11:07 PM

Yup me too....I have been Hunting alone for over 20 years. I think it is the unknown that is spookey. Can not see what is unknown ahead hehe.. I still get a little spooked at times. Climbed up in my tree stand once and had a big old Owl sitting in it. Scared the be-jiminy out of me. Darn near fell back to the ground. I think I gained 10 years on the life that morning.
Old 09-08-2003, 11:12 PM

Angus 74... The time I went hunting after watching that movie I came across a rock pile[] If you remember the little rock piles they kept finding.[>:]
Old 09-08-2003, 11:18 PM
Dominant Buck

Something wrong with me. I love walking through the woods in the dark, no light.... just slipping and seeing how quiet I can be. I' m always hissing Len and his kid for turning on lights and ruining my night vision. I don' t really mind, but I do like to slip and slide silently along in total darkness. There' s nothing in the woods as bad as what was in the woods in Southeast Asia. I figure I' m the baddest thing in the woods around where I hunt.[:-] Morning hunts are entirely different from the feeling you get slipping out at night.
Old 09-09-2003, 03:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

I like it to David,Its the Yahoos that walk in at daylight and mess me up that gives me the creeps,The creeps
Old 09-09-2003, 05:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don' t mind the dark. There' s nothing in Ohio that can hurt me. It does bother me when I hear something moving around in the dark, though. I figure it' s running away, rather than coming to get me.[:@]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.