Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

is it okay to smoke in the stand

Old 09-08-2003, 10:01 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: is it okay to smoke in the stand

I have killed a lot of deer while smoking in my stand, some had to put the ciggarette down to shoot. That being said I am sure I probably have spooked several deer that I never saw because of it.
Old 09-09-2003, 06:14 AM

Smoke is a natural smell in the woods..indians use to stand next to camp fire to hide their human scent with the smell of smoke.
I saw more deer when I smoked than I have since I quit...never had one spook because of smoke.
Old 09-09-2003, 06:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

But, there is a safety factor here. Make sure it' s really out before sticking the butt in your pocket. That alone might cause you to fall out of your tree!!!
Danny I had to laugh at that, I have never done it, but I might yet.

Okay now on to the question, NO you shouldn' t smoke on stand! I do, but as little as possible, as mdbo says I feel it is the movement of smoking that will get you busted more than anything. When ever I make a blind or sit in a stand I always make sure that movement is concealed or limited extremely. In a ground blind I will actually get on my knees to smoke to keep any movement to a minimum. I have put down more than one smoke over the years to take a shot, heck last year I dropped a doe with my bow about 20 yards out in a cut through, as I waited for her to totally expire I lit up and was leaning against the tree in front of my blind and was about half way through with a smoke when I caught movement to the left out of the corner of my eye! It was another doe, (you are allowed 2 a day in Va.) I slowly dropped to one knee, layed the cigarette on the ground, picked up my bow and as she entered the shooting lane not 3 yards from the doe I had already dropped she busted me as I drew!!!! I still wish I didn' t smoke and do keep it to a minimum on stand.
Old 09-09-2003, 10:53 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-09-2003, 02:32 PM

thanks all

it seems the ones who do smoke say its not a problm to smoke[] lol

but the ones who dont say its not okay lol

I will try not to smoke as much as before in the stand

thanks agian