Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

NY starting early

Old 08-23-2012, 01:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default NY starting early

New Yorks bow season is starting two weeks earlier than last year. Last year it started October 15th, this year its Oct 1st ... I knew they where thinking about extending bow season, guess they desided they would... Do you think we might catch some still in velvet? ....
Old 08-23-2012, 04:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

i doubt we'll have any velvet left here... but you never know... Good luck
Old 08-23-2012, 10:53 AM
Typical Buck

A friend of mine spotted a great shooter 2 days ago that was still in velvet. I'd have to say that they'd be out by Oct.1st. Like westernMAhunter said," you never know"!!
Old 08-23-2012, 05:25 PM
Fork Horn

Not gonna be any velvet, but all I can say about extending the season.... Its about damn time...
Old 08-23-2012, 08:10 PM
Spike

My trail cams show them all in velvet now but, that won't last until October. I am guessing by Sept 1 some will start shedding it. I am trully pumped about the season starting earlier. There will be plenty of time to wait out a big mature buck before all the crazy gunners get out there.
Old 08-24-2012, 12:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Do you think NY will ever put an antler restriction on the bucks? I know PA did it years ago, and NY has talked about it, but I haven't heard anymore about it, but hell, I didn't hear about the bow season date change till a month ago when I was at a yard sale...
Old 08-24-2012, 03:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

they've been talking about it... but who knows...
Old 08-25-2012, 02:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by V8Ranger
Do you think NY will ever put an antler restriction on the bucks? I know PA did it years ago, and NY has talked about it, but I haven't heard anymore about it, but hell, I didn't hear about the bow season date change till a month ago when I was at a yard sale...
We already have them in some areas but not on a state wide basis. I hope that doesn't happen.
Old 08-25-2012, 08:32 PM
Typical Buck

It's nice that Southern Tier finally caught up with Northern Tier on the Oct 1 start date, now as long as Southern doesn't go crazy and open gun in October we might be on to something!
Old 08-27-2012, 07:21 PM
Spike

I love that NY finally opened bow earlier, about damn time! I've hunted PA the past three seasons while at undergrad and loved the Oct 3rd opening. NY has a few small areas with restrictions, they added a few more for this season but personally and academically speaking I think NY should def introduce antler restrictions statewide, 4 pts on a side.