Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How many do your own servings, etc. rather than use pro shops. Why or why not?

Old 09-07-2003, 03:31 AM

Default How many do your own servings, etc. rather than use pro shops. Why or why not?

The reason I ask is because there are only a few around most are 30 to 45 min away. I know those guys are busy but its hard for me to leave my bow then drive back for it in a couple of days[:@] Then when ya do get it back they almost always put the nock in the wrong spot and ya gotta work on it anyway. Myself and a friend will invest in our own press and tools this year.
Old 09-07-2003, 06:41 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: How many do your own servings, etc. rather than use pro shops. Why or why not?

I started serving my own string about 2 years ago when someone on this board,(I think it was Rob/PAbowyer) posted a link to a sight that gave complete instructions on how to do it. I was not impressed with my local shop when they told me that it would be 2 weeks to get it done and everytime I was in there employees were just sitting around. Now I do it myself and it takes less than a half an hour.
Old 09-07-2003, 07:26 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: How many do your own servings, etc. rather than use pro shops. Why or why not?

I make my own strings,do my own servings and maintain,and tune my bows.It is a fun hoby to me.One of the better pro shops around here is about fifteen miles away and I would go to them before ever going to the one here in my town.I started out by asking lots of questions,getting the Larry Wise book" tuning and silencing youre bow" purchacing a bow press,string jig and string making video,that Larry wise made.I still don' t have a totally complete home shop,but am getting there.Bill D>