Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How important is it to pratice shooting your bow, before you hunt?

Old 09-07-2003, 08:47 PM

Default RE: How important is it to pratice shooting your bow, before you hunt?

I started getting in to bowhunting big this year I practice every other day trying to get ready for sept. 13th (opening day). I feel I owe it the the deer to make sure I can make the kill as quick as possible. Therefore I practice.
Old 09-07-2003, 11:26 PM

Year round here too. The more familiar and confident you are w/ your equiptment the better off you are. I actually heard a " Pro shop" staff member at a Large outdoor retailer tell a buyer that if he were to buy the sights w/ his new bow that there was no need to shoot until a week b4 season. I couldn' t believe it??!!! I talked to the gentleman buyer shortly after and convinced him other wise!!! The set up may not change but YOU more than likely will. That and this helps to prevent injuries when the weather turns cold. I think that practice with any choice of weapon is a neccesity not a choice!! You owe it to yourself and the game you persue. Besides with the right company it can be fun and quite challenging. There aren' t many sports that don' t require some type of practice and I' m positive this isn' t one either!! Just my two cents
Old 09-08-2003, 12:34 AM

I shoot my bow just a few days before the season starts.

I started shooting when i was 8 years old I think shooting to much is bad if you can group then in the middle dont keep shooting every day or every other day.

just make sure your bow is still on target and go hunting.
Old 09-08-2003, 03:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

I feel the same way as some of the other guys on here do. If more people were to feel this way then we' d hear " I hit one too far back and can' t find it, what do I do?" A whole lot less. Those people who don' t practice are the ones who think that if they can group pie plates size at 20 yards then they are good enough and then they try a 30-40 yard hail mary shot.

I just might miss archery season this year because I suffered a back injury and haven' t shot but a few times since December. I have 2 weeks till the opener and if I can' t hit a dime at 20 then I won' t go.
Old 09-08-2003, 06:02 AM

If the weather is tollerable I' m out there!
Good weather I' m shooting everyday Minimum 20 arrows at different yardages. I really never count
When the weather gets really Cold I try to get out once a week with the same amount of shots
AL
Old 09-08-2003, 06:25 AM
Fork Horn

ummm..... yeah in my opinion if you haven' t been shooting half the summer...and haven' t improved your form and accuracy....you haven' t been shooting enough....but i' m just a begginner whos relearning things from a couple years ago...so it wasn' t that hard for me...but i did realize how important it is to practice way more than you think you need to...last year i missed 4 deer in 3 days...that definately taught me the importance of practice wiht a bow....
Old 09-08-2003, 06:47 AM

You guys say, you let up on practice after the season. OK, we' ve got the early bow season (Oct 1st - Dec 6th), then the antlerless season (mid Jan), then spring turkey (Arpil & May), then the 3-d season starts. Oh yeah, we' ve got coyote season all year long. I don' t see a off season. Just my 02' s worth. The point is I love shooting ' My Favorite Martin' and I do all the time. I carry it with me in my truck with a cheap block target. Sometimes I work split shifts where I' m off for 2 or 3 hours in the afternoons. I take my bow and target out to this park and practice in between shifts. I shoot 60 or 70 arrows a day usually. For me, it' s relaxing. It' s my time to escape the stress of my job.
Old 09-08-2003, 06:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

I never have been able to figure out why so many people avoid shooting their bows until bow season is upon them. They all seem to want to know what the absolute minimum amount of practice time they MUST put into shooting before going hunting.

If they hate shooting a bow that much, why in the world do they feel compelled to go hunting with a bow?

There is no off season. In Texas we' ve got deer and turkey in the fall, small game hunting all winter (squirrels year round in many places), spring turkey, bowfishing for carp and gar, wild pigs year round.... not to mention 3D, field archery and FITA tournaments. I don' t have to get ready for bow season because I' m ALWAYS shooting, ALWAYS ready to hunt something. Of course, I simply enjoy shooting a bow and would shoot arrows even if there was no such thing as bowhunting.
Old 09-08-2003, 09:35 AM

I shoot because I love to shoot.....I am outside shooting as soon as the weather breaks from winter (march/april). Not only am I strengthing my muscles, but I am practicing so when season opens, I am confident, and shooting a bow is second-nature. I don' t have to worry about making a good shot... I KNOW I will make a good shot. It boils down to preperation; it always does.
Old 09-08-2003, 09:43 AM

You should shoot enough that when the situation presents itself in the field everything will automatically go on auto pilot and you wont have to think to much about the shot, just the target. For some more seasoned archers it may only take a month of good practice before the season but for most to keep this skill honed requires consistant practice on a more frequent basis. For me, 3 months of practice before season and a few arrows a day during season keeps me sharp.

Quick Reply: How important is it to pratice shooting your bow, before you hunt?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.