Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Feed and Attractants

Old 07-26-2012, 07:46 PM
Spike

Default Feed and Attractants

I am going to be bowhunting and was wondering what the best feeds and/or attractants are? What have you guys used and how well have they worked? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you and God bless.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:41 PM
Fork Horn

Need to look up your statesmen on baiting and what. Of.. States differ greatly in laws on that.. Illegal here in Hama but we do "bait" to get pics before the season. Ain't. Ever seen nuthin work better than a good ole 50 lb. bag of corn..
Old 07-27-2012, 04:23 AM
Typical Buck

Buck Jam(Apple) Get it $5 a gallon at walmart or thiesen's deer hit it all summer when I have it out in front of cameras. I only put out a quart a month and could probably put out less than that and they'd still be digging for it
Old 07-27-2012, 05:42 AM
Spike

In West Virginia, you can feed through the summer and the season on private land. And I just hunt on a land owner's permit so it all works out. And thanks for the help.
Old 07-27-2012, 05:43 AM
Fork Horn

If your just looking for an attractant then straight corn is tough to beat. Deer can see it from a ways away and obviously they like it. However, if your looking for an attractant AND something thats going to benefit them more than just corn, go to your local feed mill and have them mix you some Dried Distillers, Soymeal, Dried molasses, cracked corn, and some trace mineral. They will tear this up for weeks. I've been experimenting with different rations the past few years and have now found one that works darn good. In the summer I put in more Calcium and Phos for antler growth and then in fall and winter i back that off and concentrate more on protein and carbohyrates. Just a note, do NOT fall in the trap of some of these attractants that supposedly grow big antlers when in fact if you look on the label they have very little calcium and phos. Protein does NOT grow antlers for the most part. So take your time and find something with good amounts of calc and phos if you want bone. Protein and carbohydrates are great in fall/winter time to help put on weight and energy through and after rut. I, like many others, have spent countless hours researching different options/opinions on this and refuse to pay high dollar for retail store products when i can get a better mixture for 1/3 the price at my local feed store. Good luck with your choice.