Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bowhunting Ethics

Old 09-04-2003, 07:33 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Bowhunting Ethics

Bowhunting ethics.....I believe hunting ethics are hunting ethics, no matter what you hunt with.

We owe it to these animals to our our bows, shotguns, rifles, crossbows, muzzleloader, etc all sited in and ready to shoot. A good clean humane kill. Speaking of a clean kill....I' m not taking shots I' m not comfortable with. I' m not taking shots I THINK I can make. I' m not putting the fate of that deer in the hand of my dumb luck. Thats just not fair to the animal.

Ethics goes byond just you and other animals. It' s also not leaving my junk all over someone elses land. Leave the land in better condition when you leave. Ethics is staying where you are allowed to hunt. Don' t trustpass. One...it' s illegal. It' s illegal for a reason, it' s just not right.

Ethics is following the rules and regulations of the state you are hunting in. Ignorance is no excuse. Every state puts out a hunting guide every year. Read it.

I could go on an on, but I have to get to work.

j
Old 09-04-2003, 07:36 AM

Here are some examples of Ethical questions and Moral questions.

Ethics apply to a situation for that person. Take the shooting distance question. If my ability is such that I cannot make a confidant shot past 20 yards then taking a 30 yard shot would be unethical because it was beyond my abilities. But If I am confidant that my abilities are not at the limit for a 30 yard shot and I take it I am hunting within my abilities and considered ethical. Another Ex. I' m hunting with some friends and I have filled my only " buck" tag for the year but am hunting does. A MONSTER 190 class buck walks out and stands broadside, 15 yards, and looks away. The hunting regs say it' s OK for me to use another persons tag if we are hunting together. Do I take the shot and use my bud' s tag? Now what if I put in that it' s the last day of the season and my friends all agreed that we will split the meat we get today so shoot anything and we have 3 buck tags between the 4 of us. The situation changed. The " Question" remains the same but the ethical solution is different.

Morals are more absolute. Ex. you should always track a wounded animal until you have exhausted all possibility of recovery. You see there are is no situation that would make that statement false. Ex. You should always know your target and what is beyond. Again there is not a situation that would change that to a false statement.

So when someone asks an ethics question make sure you present all the facts so that the " group" can make an informed suggestion to your question.
Old 09-04-2003, 07:51 AM

Macdaddy...are you a hunters safety course instructor? You said what I was thinking but could not put into words. In my opinion you hit the nail square on the head.
Old 09-04-2003, 10:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Suffice it to say my ethics/morals are old fashioned, a throwback to the old days and go a good bit further than meeting the minimum requirements set out in the hunting regs.
Was that so hard Arthur? That' s a very good answer to the question![:-] In fact it probably best describes the expectations I put on myself and my children.
I dont go out of my way to ridicule you unless you post something stupid!

You must not be a real Texan if' n yar goin' to let some " greenhorns" intimidate you and cause you to wimp out.

Who you calling a greenhorn sparky?[8D]
Old 09-04-2003, 10:23 PM
Dominant Buck

Hey Arthur.... let me stir the pot. If you don' t shoot.... you ain' t going to hit him. If you don' t hit him.... you ain' t going to get him.[>:] OK... how about a little more pot stirring. In some circles the buggers are vermin. If you think you can do it...... Just do it. IF you don' t want to... well start a thread on hunting ethics.(OH Arthur.... that was a nice touch wasn' t it... that last sentence)

Anyway, some people place them on a Godly pedistal and insist on instant death and only guaranteed shots. No such thing..... so Arthur and I just take the shot when it feels good. OPs, I' m speaking out of turn... I don' t have Arthurs permission to say such things. Sure I don' t like to have a bad result from a shot.... it means more work and possibly a lost 100 pounds of meat and a broken $10 arrow. I have my own restrictions and they' ve served me well. Practice makes ALMOST perfect.... the rest is luck.

What you think Arthur.... will that start it off?

Incidently... ethics are people specific. Mine are different than yours. What' s ethical for me isn' t always necessarily ethical for you. That' s the trouble... people interchange ETHICAL as a politically correct way of saying push the envelope. Well I want a big envelope. I know people that have a bigger one than me. Ethics is NOT the law.... it' s a personnal standard. Don' t try to force yours on me or I' ll fight you everytime. That' s why I hate ethical standard debates on the internet or for that matter in the classroom. It' s got nothing to do with the law. It' s a matter of standards, upbringing, goals etc. I' m hear to say the guy that cheats on his wife is far more a rascal than the guy who shoots a deer in the butt because he took a risky shot. But hey, that' s me. I wouldn' t cheat on my wife with the classiest hollywood dollywood gal. Yet, there are womanizers out there that will tell me it' s UNETHICAL to shoot beyond 20 yards or at a walking deer. Give me a break.
Old 09-04-2003, 10:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

What you think Arthur.... will that start it off?

Nah! I dont see anything to disagree with!