Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bowhunting Ethics

Old 09-03-2003, 07:55 PM

Default RE: Bowhunting Ethics

Game Wardens need to have ethics. My first deer ,after years of hunting was an 189 lb 8 pointer. wich was shot at 10 yards from my stand. It was 4:20 pm. I had shot through the center of the heart with a 58 cal. B.P. The deer bleed I guess internailly. My partner and I could not find any blood trail. It was dark. we went back to camp..what a long night. We found it right away at first light. At the check-in station the game wardern" Marty" who is now known as ...well lets not go there.....[X(] .. He interigated us and we did not even realized it til we left. He tried to say we " Jacked the deer." THIS WAS my FIRST deer and this idiot tried to rain on MY DAY. I know they have a job to do but..you should of seen this fool try to measure the eyeball with this little pocket flashlight .His regular light was " not working" ...How can you do ANY Legal test with out the right eqpt. and knowalage. I guess he got the same story from both of us and had no further comments. I am so proud of my LEGAL 8 pointer Chestmount in my Living room.
Old 09-03-2003, 08:38 PM
dpv
Typical Buck

a liberal hunter?? You trying to make me laugh Arthur P?

I' ll make my morals easy for you. I hunt because it' s magnificent. The thrill when you have a deer walk close to you. The joy of my first and only kill last year. years of effort finally realized. Meat I put on the table for my family.
I killed a medium sized doe. I have no problem with killing does. I think we have too many deer in VA right now. I think the heard needs to be thinned. It would be great to shoot an 8 pointer. But a 4 pointer or a 6 pointer is fine for me too. The more I hear the logic of trophey management the more it bothers me. What is the point of hunting? is it to put artificial sources of food out there and basicly give a safe pass so the antlers grow nice and big like cultivating a prize flower? WELL.....for some it is. For me it isn' t and my reasons might not stand up for many of you. I don' t have control of a large piece of land. My hunting takes place where I can find a small semi isolated spot on public land, or a small piece of private land that I can talk my way onto. I have the spot behind my house for only 2 weeks, then I have to take the stand down. If it' s a medium sized or better deer and I can make a clean kill, I' m going to put it down.
If it' s legal and you are comfortable with it, take the shot. And I hope you hit your mark.

David
Old 09-03-2003, 08:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Still resisting, but I am intrigued by this concept of No Fault ethics, where all things are relative. Very liberal concept! I' m also wondering what the difference is between hunting ethics and hunting morals. Shouldn' t they be one and the same????
Care to enlighten everyone with Arthur P' s rendition of " hunting ethics and or morals" ?
Old 09-03-2003, 08:51 PM

David..I hear ya..The hunt..the food..its all good...There is posted land everywhere here in New Hampshire. I have permission to hunt on land that is posted by a docter. he is very nice. I have hunted there for a few years now. My first bow harvest was a button buck, and it was a very exciting hunt. I got lucky with my first deer. would of taken a doe if one came by..but the large scrape yeiled a nice 8 pointer @ 189 lb dressed... we no not have much land here for ' growing antlers" you have to " HUNT" for the big boys.
Old 09-03-2003, 10:51 PM
Fork Horn

dpv....man u sure hit the nail on the head.... for most hunters who don' t have the land or money..... any deer is a trophy! everyone sees the pics of huge deer...and some go into the woods looking for these trophys...some find em some don' t...those that do is mostly luck... so what are the rest of us AVERAGE hunters supposed to do...well we' re gonna take a small, medium, or large doe...maybe we' ll get lucky and take a nice buck... well good for u if u do... i feel sorry for you!... because that nice buck you shot is gonna raise your standards and you' re gonna start passing on those little bucks and all the does that come by.... then when that NICE buck comes by and doesn' t give you the shot you want...you' re still gonna take it... who knows maybe you' ll lose your deer...no blood trail or maybe it' ll be gut shot and coyotes will get it...i don' t know...but for those of you average hunters.... good luck this season....i hope you have the best of luck... and get the CLEAN kill that you' re looking for...thats what hunting ethics are....enjoying the time in the woods and making a clean humane kill...thanks for listening!
Old 09-03-2003, 11:26 PM

I hunt to feed my family. I follow all the rules set down by the state. I' m pround of any deer I take. As long as you do it legally. Otherwise it' s not hunting.
Old 09-04-2003, 06:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

Care to enlighten everyone with Arthur P' s rendition of " hunting ethics and or morals" ?
Why would I want to give you another opportunity to ridicule me like you' ve done often enough in the past, BF? Suffice it to say my ethics/morals are old fashioned, a throwback to the old days and go a good bit further than meeting the minimum requirements set out in the hunting regs.
Old 09-04-2003, 06:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

outdoorsman09,
You jump to a lot of conclusions pal.
Old 09-04-2003, 07:01 AM

Arthur P:

You must not be a real Texan if' n yar goin' to let some " greenhorns" intimidate you and cause you to wimp out. ....I have never known you to hold back.
Old 09-04-2003, 07:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Amen wimp!

Hunting ethics/morals....well IMO, each has to set their own standards, and live with the decisions they make. Same as in life.

Oh, and if you want to hear more about this, ....just wait until about Oct 1st, when most seasons are open. The ethics police will be all over the board....then it will get fun [:-]

Quick Reply: Bowhunting Ethics

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.