Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Picked up a Stealth Cam Today!!!

Old 09-02-2003, 09:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Picked up a Stealth Cam Today!!!

Well, I went to Walmart today and picked up a cam..

Anybody have any tips on how to use it , besides the basics..?

Thanks...

Old 09-02-2003, 09:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Picked up a Stealth Cam Today!!!

I' ll probably be picking one up tomorrow night so I' m curious for the tips as well....It' s not like the seasons almost here..
Old 09-02-2003, 09:37 PM
Typical Buck

Don' t use Fuji film. I read that on the board a few days ago. Unfortunatly it was after the fact. My first roll of film was pure black. My second roll is codak. Sorry I can' t tell you until tomorrow how it worked out. The suspence is killin me![8D]

O one more tip. I' m planning on using a camo tap around the black strap that goes around the tree to make it more hidden. That' s what sticks out the most when you walk up to it. They have leafy camo tape now, I might try that. Camo duck tap would work great around the cam itself. I' m going to play with idieas. Anyone else have ideas?
Old 09-03-2003, 07:21 AM
Typical Buck

clear anything that can be blown by the wind away from the front of the camera. Try and not angle it towards the sun as I' ve heard (never happened to me tho) that can set of the shot. I' ve also heard that you shouldn' t place the camera facing " down a trail" because you run a risk of getting a really far away shot and never having the animal approach. Watch your height, if you have your cam too high you' ll get a head and no body, if you have it too low you' ll get feet and no head, etc... everything else is just common sense. I try and picture an animal in places X Y Z in front of the camera and think how I' d want the camera if he were standing there, " On this tree will be too close, this one will be too far... that one looks good."

On pointing the camera " down trail" I got this nice pic:

www.scofield.cc/GameCamPics/deer1.jpg

I got lucky tho because that was the 3rd one in the set, he was walking from behind the camera (guess the smell didn' t spook him) and got one shot, he came back to graze in the same area, got another shot and then he got curious and looks like he walked up to the camera...
Old 09-03-2003, 09:03 AM

Here are some tips that I can give you from personal experience.

1. Keep the scent down! You will get more pics, and I have noticed that if the camera is left out for lets say 5 days, without anybody going to it, you will get more buck pics.

2. Trim all the areas where deer could possibly be. I have a bunch of pictures of bucks where they have had there head behind a branch. They just seem to have a nack for hiding those antlers

3. The best film I have used so far is Kodak Max 400 speed. The 800 speed gets the exact same quality pics from the Stealth cam, but, it is more expensive, so, that is why I say the 400 speed is the best.

4. Keep trying. If you get a roll of film of nothing but does in one area that you thought bucks used, keep the camera in that area. I set my one camera up and the first roll had ONE buck picture in it, the rest were doe. I knew bucks used that trail, so I kept it there. My second roll was about half buck and half doe. The last roll was pretty much all bucks. I can' t wait till Friday to go see what I got on it now.

5. Keep the camera facing ACROSS A TRAIL!!! If it is facing up or down the trail, you will get too many pics from too far away. I have made this mistake and got pics of deer that were 60-65 feet away. All you can see are eyes.

6. Don' t over-spend on the things you need. I have some cheap batteries in both my cameras, and, they have been going for around 3 weeks and the low battery light still hasn' t come on. I am using some Rayovak batteries that I got from Wal-Mart. It was 20 batteries for $6.88 or something like that. The Kodak film I got at Wal-Mart also, and I picked up 4 roll of the Kodak Max Versatillity 400 for $8.95!

7. The Stealth cams have a wide angle infra-red sensor and will snap a picture as soon as the deer crosses it. This means that the deer will more than likely be at the edge of a picture. I have gotten lots of pics of deer in the center, but, I have just as many of them right at the edge of the pics. It still gets most of the body in it!

8. On a trail, set the camera at one picture every one minute. At a feeding source, set it for one picture every four minutes. These have been the best settings for me.

9. MAKE SURE YOU POST PICS WHEN YOU GET THEM!
Old 09-03-2003, 10:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just got my first half roll back.
After 2 weeks it only took 10 pictures. But it could be an indicator of the area I put it in and how much I stunk it up when placing it.
Out of 10 pictures, 8 are of animals, one is a night shot of something red at the very top? and the other was of nothing. Still looking that one over.

Of the 8, most are of does and a couple are of coons. Looking at the time stamp it is safe to say they stayed around long enough to finish off the corn I threw out and then never came back.

I moved on of six heaviliy used trails that leads to a feeder. I should get more pics of pigs at this location.

I also figured out while messing with the " test" light, my unit likes 3' off the ground better than 4.

BM, the advertisements say you can adjust the PIR sesitivity between close/far shots, do you know how to do this??
Old 09-03-2003, 12:04 PM

Dave,

If you are getting pics of deer, then the camera is doing the job. I' ll bet that you' ll get more pics near the feeder.

I havn' t seen a way to change the sensor. My cameras are both set out or I would take a look and see if I could figure it out.
Old 09-03-2003, 12:11 PM

Mine takes awesome pictures of the the bare woods and raccoons!
Old 09-03-2003, 05:49 PM
Typical Buck

Today I went to retrieve the film from the Stealth Cam as planned and to my surprise there were no pictures taken the week it was up. The five days before that I had it in a different local and received three pictures. This is my second camera. The first Stealth cam didn’t rewind so I had returned it. This replacement doesn’t seem to get set off as easily as the last cam did. You notice this when using the test mode. It’s like you have to be a lot closer to the new one to set it off. I don’t know what to think. One whole week and not one deer walking down the three trails that are tour to heck. Hhmmmm maybe! But it just doesn’t sound realistic. Maybe it was too high. I had it around 3 or maybe 4 feet up. I’m putting it in a different local tomorrow.

P.S. It rained constant for three days and one of the nights it rained very hard. The inside of the Cam is as dry as a popcorn fart! [:-]

O and the battery light was flashing. Ten days with energizers.

Old 09-03-2003, 07:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just picked up mine hope it works as good as has
beenfor you guys!!

Quick Reply: Picked up a Stealth Cam Today!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.