Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

GOLD TIP XT CARBON ARROWS-WHAT HAPPENED?

Old 09-03-2003, 03:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: GOLD TIP XT CARBON ARROWS-WHAT HAPPENED?

I just may concede all these advances to Arthur - and go back to Alum <image/s10.gif>
RA. I got tired of all the variables with carbon and that' s exactly what I did. I feel much better and have less to worry about
Old 09-03-2003, 03:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just finished fletchin up my superslam 2314' s. Two yellow and one black vane with yellow nocks. They are real purrtie test all for straightness and shot each arrow through paper and rotated the nocks till they shot nice bullet holes. out of 12 shafts I have ended up with 12 straight, great flying arrows. That' s why I just gave up on carbons with the exception the the " skinny" ones.
Old 09-03-2003, 05:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

Rack-attack.... For once, I' m speechless!
Old 09-03-2003, 05:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use to shoot aluminum with no concerns with tuning and broadhead flight but i let a couple of my buddies talk me into carbons which i have liked up until the last couple of years. I' ve replied about the quality of Goldtips on several other post. I' ve been shooting them for about 4/5 years now but i have had a real problem with them in the last couple of years. I bought a dozen last year and had to send 3 back that were split on both ends bout 3-4 inches up the shaft and out of the remaining 9 i had 4 that would shoot a broadhead. Giving them the benefit of doubt i bought a dozen about a month ago and about half of them are ok to shoot but two were split right through the green logo on the shaft and one actually had a dent in it like it had been heated and warped. I' m like rack, i have to many and it' s to close to opening day to switch but this will definately be my last year shooting goldtips. I' m not sure if i want to try another brand or not. I saw some the other day at a bow shop called super carbons that a company out of VA (nationwide archery) i think is the name of it and from all the ones the guy at the shop spun and checked were good. They have three types (supremes .001 straightness), (Magnums .003 straightness), and (Hunters .006 straightness). If i stick with carbons i may try a dozen of the Magnums and the cost is about the same as goldtips. I' m really considering going back to the Easton X7 Eclipse 2314 next season that i use to shoot. I never had a problem with the easton shafts being straight or shooting broadheads.
Old 09-03-2003, 07:06 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-03-2003, 07:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

WOW...to have Rack and Arthur in the same ballpark is a feat in itself, much less agreeing [] LOL

Guys....just buy XX78' s and get it overwith[]

I can honestly say, that I find that most all of my arrows are straight...from dozen to dozen. I do find one here or there that end up in my pratice bin, but not many.
Old 09-03-2003, 07:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

Ain' t that something, WV? I' m wondering if he' s pulling our leg.

Navy, I started using aluminum arrows in 1978. In all that time, I can think of only once where I accidently bent an arrow while hunting, a bizarre accident involving the closing of a tailgate.

If you fall hard enough to bend aluminum arrows, you probably fell hard enough to nock the sights out of whack and possibly tweaked that finely tuned arrow rest as well. Maybe even bent that big aluminum cam, or dinged a string cutting burr in the track. You' re not going to be sitting in the stand with a freshly dropped bow until you' ve checked everything out and fixed it up anyway. At least, I hope not.

And, while you' re in camp fixing the bow, you can grab a refill from your spare arrow cache before heading back to the stand. My experience with aluminum is the same as 5 shot' s - generally all 12 out of a dozen arrows will shoot broadheads great. Only occasionally do I run into one that won' t. All my broadhead tuned arrows take the trip, not just the ones in the quiver.

Besides that, if you fall and bend your aluminums, that means you' re not moving very carefully in the woods and every critter in there is probably headed for the next county.

Old 09-03-2003, 11:00 AM

Guys......thanks for all of your post. Like most of you, I spin checked each arrow right out of the bag before any inserts or vanes were installed. I fletch and build all of my arrows from raw shafts. Like Rack and others, I am actually contemplating just going back to Aluminum' s NEXT year. The only reason I switched in the first place, was because my shooting abilities improved greatly enough that I would ruin two or three shafts PER shooting session. I guess either way you look at it........it' s a financial issue. I broke down and bought 6 GT 3-D pros yesterday. We spun checked each and cut both ends of the arrows down to my specified length. I now have 6 perfectly straight arrows. They are ONLY $100 per dozen. I could go back to aluminums and risk going through 3-4 dozen arrows per year (which would not save me any money!). I could invest in more BLOCKS, GLEN-DEL BUCKS (Which I really like, by the way) and bags, so I can shoot one arrow at each target to avoid ruining arrows. I just want the impossible I guess!!! I want a durable, straight arrow that I can shoot with broadheads or field points. If I stick one in a tree branch, I would like to be able to pull it out, replace the insert and put it back in my quiver.......you can' t do that with an Aluminum arrow! I let you know if I find that perfect arrow!!!!!!! Good luck to everyone this season and I hope each of US get that big buck we' ve been dreaming of.
Old 09-03-2003, 11:13 AM

I purchased what was probably the first dozen GoldTips in Oklahoma several years ago. 5 of the dozen were straight enough to shoot. I was told then that the new company was just starting out, and that to produce good quality carbon arrows, you really had to control the climate in the plant that makes them. I was told that they couldn' t control the humidity in their plant then. I bought them because they were the first all carbon arrows that took inserts and not outserts. I shot the 5 good ones until they were pretty much destroyed (3-D shoots only, never hunted with them) then switched back to XX78' s. There' s not a straighter arrow out there, and I' ve found them to be very durable, and not easily bent. I' ll never shoot anything but XX78' s again.
Old 09-03-2003, 12:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ok, here I go up on the soapbox again

As I’ve said, I have very good luck w/ the last 2 doz. Goldtip XT’s I’ve had, but very spotty results in the past. I’ll continue to evaluate them and continue the search for the perfect arrow. If finances allow next year, I’ll be back to ACC’s, which are not perfect, but are as perfect as you can find. They share the same positive qualities of XX aluminum, while also being very resilient (approaching the level of the really tough all-carbons), and surpassing both in every other area. I’ve shot fixed blade heads at over 300 FPS on ACC’s with the only trouble being the idiot pulling on the string. If cost continues to be a factor, I’ll end up w/ one of the premium carbon shafting types on the market like Gold Tip 3D Pro’s or similar as a compromise.

I love aluminum for the convenience, consistency, accuracy and ease of tuning. But, like Dale, I just destroy way too many (not bend slightly, but destroy them: crease them, obliterate the unibushing and back ends, etc). In 2000 I decided to switch back to alums (2315’s) and destroyed that dozen within a week while group tuning. I ended up buying two more dozens that year and ended up with only 4 decent ones by the time the season rolled around. I spent over $165 on three-dozen XX78 shafts when I could have purchased 1 dozen ACC’s for $110 and only destroyed 2 or 3. For those who like heavier arrows, The A/C Kinetic will fit the bill for all save those who really like the super thick wall alums like 2219’s, 2317’s etc. A 29” A/C KII 340 w/ a 125 -grain tip and three 5-inch AAE/ Dura vanes will give you an arrow weight of appx. 515 grains ( nothing to shake a stick at). For a guy who may only shoot 60 pounds a 400 KII w/ 125 grain tip and 4” vanes will come in around 480 grains at the same arrow length. Not much difference in the 2315’s and 2413’s you are shooting now.

As far as straightness, yep alum is as good as it gets but AC technology is virtually as good. I did some straightness testing this weekend with a bunch of different all carbons, alums, and AC shafts, and the A/C’s came in under spec (this time, as well as times past I have tested them) rivaling higher tolerance XX75 and close enough to XX78 that it really doesn’t matter. In fact the A/C full length shafts obliterated even cut to length premium carbons from other manufacturers. That is all fine and dandy if straightness is your be-all end-all to arrow shaft quality, but A/C will also match XX for spine consistency and surpasses it in weight consistency. Check out the weight variance tolerance for alum: it’s plus or minus 1%. For a 400 grain bare shaft that’s +/- 4 grains. A/C are weight matched to within ½ a grain, and even between the different letter codes the variance is as good as XX.

I keep seeing people complain that they have no option other than XX alum because cause all-carbons do not measure up, but the option IS there for you, plain as day. You may not like the cost, I understand that, but the shafts are there for your use.

P.S. And I sure wish someone from Easton would see how damn much I test and promote their shafts, cause I could really use an endorsement deal or a staff shooter position or something

Quick Reply: GOLD TIP XT CARBON ARROWS-WHAT HAPPENED?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.