Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Question: Should I or shouldn' t I take him?

Old 09-02-2003, 01:14 PM

Default Question: Should I or shouldn' t I take him?

There is a buck I' ve been watching and he is nice......but he could be nicer next year........if he makes it. He is an 8 pointer with a tall rack and nice tine length and is SOOOOO symetrical that when he looks at you all you see is two long tines coming up. His width is only out to his ears so I' m guessing 14" spread.

Now I' ve only taken one buck with my bow and he' s a nice deer around here (I' d say 7 or 8 on a 10 scale). He' s the biggest buck I' ve seen this year on the farm that I hunt. The thing is he' s got great genetics and could be huge next year but I' m not sure if he' ll be there. There is a lot of pressure in the surrounding woods during gun season and the lot is right on a main highway where I had " the big one" get hit last August. I' m torn right down the middle on this one 50/50.

So what do you guys think????????????????????
Old 09-02-2003, 01:22 PM

Default RE: Question: Should I or shouldn' t I take him?

If you would be proud of him, take him. They would all be bigger the next year if we let them go.... Bowhunting is supposed to be about fun, about you vs nature. Get out there and enjoy it. He' s better than anything else you' ve killed and one of the best bucks on the farm, you better take him. Odds are he wan' t be around next year.
Old 09-02-2003, 01:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

Whats the main Hwy Rt 5 ? Are Amish around ?. If you think he has a good chance to make it through another year let him grow. But you know if he steps onto another farm he is a goner. They get much much bigger than that in St. Mary' s.
Old 09-02-2003, 01:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

The way you described the situation, I' d shoot him in a heartbeat. He' d also be my biggest with a bow and get put on the wall. My goal this season is to try and hold out for a buck with a 14" or better spread, or one that has lots of mass etc. Good luck getting a shot at him, and if you do, then be proud cause that' s a nice buck.
Old 09-02-2003, 02:07 PM

I can' t answer a question that only you hold the answer to
Old 09-02-2003, 02:15 PM

I would take him with the bow if I had the chance given the circumstances you describe. If he is smart enough to stay out of bow range then maybe he will make it through to the next year anyway. A 7 or 8 out of 10 would have to go down in my book. There are not many deer that make it to that magical 10 level.
Old 09-02-2003, 02:39 PM

Rack, you' re right, I alone know the answer, I guess I just wanted someone to tell me it' s cool.

SW Iowa, I meant a 7 or 8 for around here, we don' t get a lot of 180 class deer where I live. Maybe a few, but not a lot. I' m not good at guessing class but I' m gonna guess maybe 100-115. I know he' s only got a 14" spread but he' s real tall.

mdbohuntr, yes, the farm I hunt is on an inside corner right on Rt. 5 and there is another big farm across one way and a field and hardwoods across the other way. When the deer start moving they don' t hesitate to go back and forth.

You are all right, he would be my biggest buck so far and I would be DARN proud to take him. I would just like to see bigger deer in my area and know that a lot of guys take smaller bucks, thought maybe I could set an example. This piece of property is probably not the place to do it though. He' s got a gorgeous rack and I keep dreaming of taking him in velvet. Plus I have him pretty well patterened so as long as I don' t screw up (which will likely happen) I' m pretty confident I can get close to him.

Done, I' ll go for him. Thanks guys!
Old 09-02-2003, 02:44 PM

Done, I' ll go for him. Thanks guys!
COOL
Old 09-02-2003, 03:10 PM

Solax, sounds to me like you made a good decision. Next year is just a hope and this is reality. It would be nice for him to gain more mass and make an even bigger trophy for you next year but as you well know chances are slim he' ll be around next year. Good luck and great shooting
Old 09-02-2003, 03:27 PM

Just remember, no matter how many different ways you prepare it, bone is not that tasty. As " The Rack" said, make your call when/if the time comes.

Quick Reply: Question: Should I or shouldn' t I take him?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.