Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What can you do to protect your feathers?

Old 08-31-2003, 07:57 PM

Default What can you do to protect your feathers?

What can I do to protect my feathers from the weather IE Rain and stuff? Tired shooting vanes but didn' t get the same flight as I did with Feathers? I s there a SILICONE SPRAY OR SOMETHING??
Old 08-31-2003, 08:54 PM

Default RE: What can you do to protect your feathers?

my local shop sold me some stuff called Dri-tite, it seemed to work good for waterproofing, easy to apply, it comes in a powder and a liquid that you just let dry. i think im gonna go back to feathers, i got some with vanes this year because i didnt like being able to hear the arrow flying through the air, that hissing sort of sound, but like you say feathers get better flight

good luck
Old 08-31-2003, 09:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

I kinda like the hissing sound, but I never seem to be able to get my arrows to do it.

I used to always use the cheapest hair spray on the shelf. White Rain was just about IT for keeping my feathers up and running when it was damp. When it first came out, I tried Scotchguard. It worked great and I still use it. Nothing will keep your feathers from getting soaked in a hard rain though, so keep a plastic bag in your pocket to cover them up when it pours.
Old 08-31-2003, 09:28 PM
nub

My wife never notices her hair spray missin either.
Old 08-31-2003, 10:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hey Arthur,you posted once that you believe that trying to put feathers on with an offset instead of helical is most likely the reason some experience noise with feathers.I tried your advice and I believe you are correct. I fletched some arrows with helical feathers and they are as quiet,if not quieter than my vanes were.[&:]The broadheads I am using are the Deadheads by GKF and they actually penetrated better in my testing board than my fieldpoints.The offset blades along with the helical vanes fly as accurate as my fieldpoints and seem to be just as forgiving.

Thanks for the heads up.

As for the hairspray,how long do you think it takes for the smell to go away.I have been tempted to put some on but the season opens in a week and wasn' t sure if the smell would be a problem.
Old 09-01-2003, 07:20 AM
nub

T: They make unscented.
Old 09-01-2003, 12:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yeah nub but unscented to us doesn' t mean unscented to deer.They have a little bit better smeller than we do.
Old 09-01-2003, 12:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

Most of the waterproofing things work pretty good........when i shoot feathers i use a product called " Water Shed" intended for Dry Flies when flyfishing. Its a permanent waterproofer and you must apply it at least 24 hours before you use.

By using that and a ' Cat Quiver' I don' t sweat dry feathers when hunting.
The Cat quiver will keep your fetahers bone dry as they are hidden inside of a plastic hood.
Old 09-01-2003, 01:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

TFOX, I don' t know how long the scent lasts. Just being an old fashioned throwback, or so I' ve been repeatedly told on this forum, I always hunt with the wind in my face and it never has been an issue. Always figure I smell worse than my fletchings anyway.

Glad the helical is working for you.
Old 09-02-2003, 10:59 AM

Carolina Archery Products has something that they call " No-Snow" that works real well on feathers. You spray it on the feathers when they are dry and they won' t absorb water when it rains. Good luck hunting!

Quick Reply: What can you do to protect your feathers?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.