Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Slick Trick 100 and 125 grain test results

Old 12-09-2004, 07:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Slick Trick 100 and 125 grain test results

I was going to use the montec g5, after reading your test results I ordered
the slick tricks yesterday, I live in WI and the heads are coming from arizona
If you ordered them from the manufacturer they are coming from Jonesboro, Arkansas.

Actually form looking at the website, it appears that he has moved operations back to Pocahontas, AR.
Old 12-09-2004, 07:44 AM

I had 2 break in half after hitting a 3D target[:@]
Old 12-09-2004, 07:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

I had 2 break in half after hitting a 3D target
Well that's not a good thing to hear. Never had a head do that before. Was it the blades or ferrule. The blades are .035, pretty thick.

My order went to AR.
Old 12-09-2004, 09:44 AM

The ferrule, on back to back shots, snapped in the same place. Both hit were low the shoulder, where the rod is. I suspect the rod was the culprit, but I've never had that happen with another head. Also, I would equate the rod with a shoulder bone of a big buck.

I lost faith in them
Old 12-09-2004, 09:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

That sucks and I feel partly responsible since I am one of the ones that talked you into buying them. I have had good luck with them and even had one heavy bone impact that the butcher had to retrieve and the head was still in good shape. I think Double got a couple out of the same bad batch but I too would have lost confidence in them.
Old 12-09-2004, 12:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

That rod is usually a pretty good size pipe with little give. A bone would have to be softer. Who knows though. I would have thought you would have just bent a blade from it, but the blade doesn't have much give either considering the thickness. I do know that five shot mentioned shooting it through the barrel with good results:

This is truly an exceptional broadhead. It penetrated every test material with ease, including BOTH sides of the steel drum! This is the first “full size head” to get through both sides of the drum and remain intact. In fact I shot the same head 5 times through it, and it’s still going strong. I am guessing that the short squat profile, combined with a tough all steel ferule and blades allows this head to penetrate extremely well while still maintaining a full size cut.
I have had good luck with them and even had one heavy bone impact that the butcher had to retrieve and the head was still in good shape.
Which bone silent?
Old 12-09-2004, 12:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

High and a little to for forward in the front shoulder. It broke the bone on this side and stuck in the bone on the other side. The doe was on a hill side and was actually about level with me so the arrow was still trying to penetrate the heaviest part of the shoulder on both sides. It was raining and I had on my rain jacket that is kind of baggy and I didn't have my sleeve pinned down as good as I should have and it caused me to shoot a couple of inches too far left. Fortunately, the doe folded right there. The head was still in fine shape though one of the blades was slightly bent. I was very pleased with the way the head held up considering the path it took. It certainly bailed me out of what could have otherwise been a bad situation.
Old 12-09-2004, 12:51 PM

No ill will here silent, they seemed to be a great head and probably are, I just had a unlikely experience. Personally, I think the design of my Axis arrows had something to do with also.

For me, I am sticking with Muzzy, my first love.
Old 12-09-2004, 12:52 PM

BTW, I had also bought an extra set of blades that I never got to use, I will send them to you if I still have them around, if you are interested. 100gr
Old 12-09-2004, 01:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you still have them I will sure take em. I would be happy to pay you for them though.

Quick Reply: Slick Trick 100 and 125 grain test results

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.