Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunters, anyone almost get shot while hunting?

Old 08-28-2003, 01:15 PM

Default Hunters, anyone almost get shot while hunting?

Hunters, I am looking for anyone who would care to share a close encounter with getting shot at while hunting. Were you on a deer drive? Did you drop your rifle? Someone shoot at a deer with not knowing you were on the other side of the deer.

Example, a friend of mine was posted and sat on the ground while waiting for some animals,he heard the first shot and stood up, the second shot from the 12 gauge ripped into his upper thigh, he nearly bled to death and lost his leg, this is a question we want to use on a televison segment on " safety in the woods" any help you can provide may save lives in the field, thanks so much, send to:

[email protected]

Dr. Mike
Old 08-28-2003, 02:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hunters, anyone almost get shot while hunting?

No....and I don' t know of anyone who has. I do know hunters , including myself, who have gotten pretty pumped up thinking a deer was coming, just to have a hunter who doesn' t have permission come strolling by. I have to admit its awfull fun scaring the crap out of the and kickin them off the property!!!

Good Luck!
Old 08-28-2003, 02:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

One year when I was shotgun hunting I was walking along a path that was running paralel to a river, the river was kind of down in a valley so we could not even see the water. We didnt know it at the time but there was a guy sitting on the other side of the river right down by the water facing our way. I dont know if he saw something move or what, but all of a sudden he starts shooting right in our direction. The bullets were coming so close to us that the first 2 we actually heard the " ZING" go about 2" over our heads. It didnt take long for us to have our noses in the dirt. Needless to say, We chewed him a new ass.
Old 08-28-2003, 02:43 PM
JRW
Nontypical Buck

I' ve been peppered on public land while hunting doves and/or squirrels. Not really " shot" , per se, but close enough for me.
Old 08-28-2003, 04:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

I probably should add that we were slug hunting when this happend.
Old 08-28-2003, 05:21 PM

I would like to add, while hunting during Wisconsin' s rifle season several years ago, I was with 3 other guys walking about 40 yards into the woods, looking for a wounded deer, we heard shots off in the distance and had lead flying and hitting the ground several yards away, needless to say we hit the ground, the owner of the farm, had no clue we were in the woods, was shooting at a deer just walking outside the woods we just entered, a mere 500 yards away..

Another time, I was sitting in a tree stand, on private property and on opening morning, had bullets wizzing over my head, that was upsetting, the shots I heard were from a great distance away.

I feel better that I am not the only person who has been involved with idiots in the woods.

Dr. Mike