Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

native smells...?

Old 08-25-2003, 10:36 PM
Typical Buck

Default native smells...?

I have a question. I' m hunting a private farm (1000 acres) and about half of it has cattle (about 200). The area I' m looking at hunting does not see A LOT of cattle but the occasional run-away. However, the deer travel around the cattle field all the time. I know deer are keen to outside smells, like if I were to let my camo sit in a bag full of dirt and grass and leaves from my backyard they' d notice the difference.
But what about native smells but from the wrong side of their territory? Should I find some cow doo doo (which people say can be great cover scent) and use it if the cows aren' t around there frequently but are around the deer in other places?
Old 08-26-2003, 06:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: native smells...?

I hunt a couple different places. One is a sheep farm. I hunted there one night and had to walk through the pasture. The next night I hunted behind my house and when some does cut my trail, they got all sorts of weird cause of the sheep smell where there were no sheep. I' d try and keep the smells apart if I were you.