Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Shed Question

Old 02-06-2012, 04:40 PM
Spike

Default Shed Question

My brothers and I decided to put some corn out to see if we could locate a big 10 point that was on the property we hunted this past year. We did get a nice bachelor group on camera but 1 of the bucks already dropped it's antlers. Do older bucks drop their antlers faster then younger bucks?

www.grobe33.blogspot.com
Old 02-06-2012, 07:09 PM
Typical Buck

Seems to me that the older bucks that are doing the breeding in the area drop their antlers first because they are so run down from breeding, chasing does and running off younger bucks.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:45 PM
Fork Horn

Its a matter of metabolism from what I understand and thats usually genetics. I've seen some of the biggest bucks in my country last the longest...I'm not an expert on this subject though...
Old 02-07-2012, 03:39 AM
Fork Horn

I have not been able to find but 1 small 4pnt shed this past wkend. The BIG 8 I was looking for was no where..however.. I did find fresh trees rubed up! Alot of the buck on Long Island still have their racks on it seems...