Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

West Virginian' s Opinion' s

Old 08-20-2003, 01:17 PM

Default West Virginian' s Opinion' s

I am 46 year old male, whose passion and first love was bowhunting. Nothing excited me more than being in my treestand before first light on opening morning and feeling the cool October air hit my face as I wondered if today would be the day that Mr. Big Buck came by. That was then......

In April of 2000, I was injured at work and as a result I contacted the flesh-eating- disease. As a result, I lost my ring, middle, and index finger on my left hand. I lost the little finger on my right hand. Both of my feet are over halfway amputated,they are only 5-6 inches long.

I can no longer hold my bow, let alone shoot it,so I recently gave it away.I can no longer use my climbing tree stand, so I gave it away. I' ve tried shooting other bow' s using a wrist strap to hold the bow,but all the debriement the doctor' s did on my left upper torso,and then using skin graft' s to cover it up, the graft' s are so tight that I can' t straighten my left arm out all the way.

I have e-mailed the WV DNR and asked for a special permit or purchase a special license in order to use a crossbow because of my situation, but they said no.
I realize that there are people who are totally against crossbow' s, but they aren' t in my shoe' s.

I would have to use the same tactic' s and be restricted to ground hunting only.So where' s the advantage?

My question is, do fellow West Virginian' s feel the same way that the DNR does, or do you think I stand a good chance of taking this issue to a higher level?

Thank' s for your time,and all answers will be appreciated.

vthompson
Old 08-20-2003, 01:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: West Virginian' s Opinion' s

vthompson...first...welcome to the board! I' m sorry about your situation, and yes I would support you in your quest to get the permit. You said bowhunting is your passion, ....if if was me, I' d pursue it as well. If it' s any consolation, WV' s dnr usually has cranial rectum insertion disease, when it comes to just about anything. I don' t generally support crossbow' s for the able bodied, but if someone is handicapped...that
s a different story. At least you can say you honestly gave it an effort to stay with your compound. Good luck
Old 08-20-2003, 01:43 PM

vthompson, welcome to the boards. I' m with you all the way. I feel that in order to keep the sport of bowhunting alive that we need to make exceptions to those who are unable to draw a compound. I don' t know what use I can be of from MD, maybe sign a petition or something but I' m with ya.
Old 08-20-2003, 02:38 PM
Fork Horn

vthompson......so sorry to hear of you situation I know that would be a hard pill to swallow and I sure do wish you the best.
I do not intend to come across as harsh but I do not think crossbow' s are good for deer hunting and for that reason i' m firmly against them.

Its not the people like yourself that really miss bow hunting and could benefit from a crossbow that bothers me, if that was the case I would be ready to jump up and help you fight. The problem is if you are allowed to use one then everyone else would have to have the same right. This is where I feel like it would be bad for bowhunting.

Just my opinion and believe me, I' m not always right!

Old 08-20-2003, 02:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

I am not from wv but not to far away. I support your attempt to get a xbow licence. I have said it before, I will say it again. I will respect anybody who is a responseable outdoorsman one who follows all wildlife laws and regulations no matter what they legally use to hunt with. I do not belive an abled bodyed hunter should use a crossbow but if it is legal for them in their state to use it then so be it I respect their decision I may not like their decision but will respect it. Your case is different though and I give you full support. I hope they give you your licence. Good luck
Old 08-20-2003, 02:47 PM
Typical Buck

I think that it is awful that they would not allow you to use a crossbow.In Ohio it is a legal weapon for everyone.I would press the issue.Good luck
Old 08-20-2003, 02:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Also if you are not far from the ohio line purchase our out of state licences and hunt here. Ohio' s DNR would except you no questions asked.
Old 08-20-2003, 11:51 PM

I thought that the law stated if you had a letter from a doctor saying that you couldnt draw a bow, that they had to give you a special permit for either a crossbow, or those new devises that hold your bow back for you?? I was over at the dnr site the other day, and I noticed something about a law that was passed. I would certianly support you getting one of those special permits, as a matter of fact, I think they should designate a special season for people that have handicaps. But those people in the capitol can be real @ss holes!! I' m behind you all the way!!! I hope you get something worked out!!
Old 08-21-2003, 06:30 AM
Super Moderator

Being from Illinois, using a crossbow is illegal unless you can have a doctor certify that you are disabled and unable to pull a longbow, recurve or compound bow. I am totally shocked that W. Virginia will not allow a disabled person to use a crossbow for deer hunting! []

Old 08-21-2003, 06:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

I live in Va. so I have no real say in WV, but you need to take this up the DNR chain of command, and if they still jerk you around take it to the public, contact every hunting orginization in WV and they will go to bat for you also!!!!!

Quick Reply: West Virginian' s Opinion' s

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.