Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Great tip!

Old 08-20-2003, 04:48 AM
Fork Horn

Default Great tip!

I read somewhere (probably here) to number your arrrows to see if any are consistantly off their mark. So, I numbered all of my arrows and started scoring them from 0 to 10 on a double ring target and found that 4 of my 19 arrows consistantly miss their mark. Now I know which of my arrows I will be taking into the woods and which will be staying back at camp.

Old 08-20-2003, 05:20 AM

Default RE: Great tip!

Sounds like a pretty smart idea!
Old 08-20-2003, 05:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

Funny you should mention that, I start off ranking my arrows about 2 weeks before the season opens, I start off with 12 and usually will be down to what I call my hunting 6! I rank them also and the first one nocked is always #1.
Old 08-20-2003, 05:45 AM
Dominant Buck

Duhhh .... that' s exactly why we tune our arrows. Now, if in your test you only had field points on..... you get to do it all over again, this time with broadheads. Let me make a suggestion. Just work with a couple arrows until you have them flying or classified as good or bad. When you find a good one with a broadhead, set it aside and continue on. When you have them all done, take the hunters(the good ones) and start over again. Just do 3 or 4 or 6 arrows a night. Now, just using the hunter pile shoot score and number them and put them in you quiver in order. When you' re done put in new inserts and don' t shoot the things until a deer steps in front of them. The reason I suggest you first select hunters and practice arrows is so that you' re more likely to get the NUMBERING system right the first time. Depending on you degree of acceptance and the tune of your equipment, you can figure on getting anywhere from 5-9 good arrrows from a dozen new ones.
Old 08-20-2003, 10:39 AM

I usually number them, then make out a grid on paper. spin test each one with field point and BH. give them a score 1, 2 or 3. Then target practice at 30 yards (that gives time for the arrow to do its best to get off line.) rate them 1, 2, 3 on 10 shots ( I throw out any shots that I know I flinched bad on or threw the arrow) Then shoot 10 shots with a practice BH give each shot a 1, 2, 3.

Add them up and you have yourself the best arrows. Now that I know that they work awsome I don' t touch the top 6 untill hunting season. I usually will shoot one practice shot with each of them each week to make sure that everything is Nuts On.
Old 08-20-2003, 01:02 PM

Thats a great tip, I will have to try doing that. Anything I can put in my favor will help for sure.
Old 08-21-2003, 12:05 PM

Thanks for the tip
Old 08-21-2003, 07:28 PM

Davidmil, I' m confused by your statement. Do you mean replacement blades?

When you' re done put in new inserts and don' t shoot the things until a deer steps in front of them.
Old 08-23-2003, 06:31 PM

I do something similar. I number my arrows, then put on BH' s. I sight in at 20 yards using #1,2 and 3. If one of those 3 are consistently " out of the bull" I pull that one out and go to #4, etc. Once I have 6 that are always " dead nuts" I use those six arrows to practice, never shooting at the same spot twice, to avoid damaging the arrows. I too rank the accuracy of those 6 arrows. My #1 arrow (accuracy wise) is the first arrow in the quiver. I think that it is very important to practice with what you are going to hunt with to avoid surprises. It may take me a dozen sometimes two dozen arrows to find six that I will hunt with. I am THAT picky! I think the game we pursue deserves that level of commitment from us. Once the season starts, I change out the blades of course!
Old 08-24-2003, 04:33 PM

Excellent Tip for ones who are not sure of how to tune arrows...

Quick Reply: Great tip!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.