Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Does anybody else have this problem?

Old 08-19-2003, 09:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Does anybody else have this problem?

When shooting my bow If I just put my pin on my target and pull the trigger for a rather quick shot i usually have very respectable groups. However if I really take my time and try to hold that pin right over the target for a longer period of time the pin starts moving more and i torque the bow. Today i could group two arrow almost touching eachother than i would concentrate on the third shot so i could get a really good group and It would hit like 3 inches right? Anybody also have this problem? Also I think i shoot much better at deer targets than regular circular targets? Any suggestions...thanks-Sam
Old 08-19-2003, 09:55 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 08-19-2003, 10:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Does anybody else have this problem?

When holding on the target for a longer period of time and you are consentrating on that pin you are noticing more percieved pin movement.
You are fighting to hold the pin on the spot or target and you are torqueing the bow, are you then punching the trigger or peeking ?
I used to find myself tensing up when I couldnt get the pin on the exact spot that I wanted and then when it did seem to find its way to the spot for just a split second my mind would say shoot it,SHOOT IT NOW, with all that thought came bad form I was torqueing the bow tensing the hand and the bow shoulder and then punching the shot, I was not trusting the shot, I was afraid that it was now or never , I have to shot it now or I will never get back on that spot again.( target panic ) I was also grabbing the bow after the shot not relizing that the reflex to grab the bow is so fast that I was grabing the bow proabably before the arrow had even crossed the rest plan thus causing maybe even more interference. And then there was peeking.
I was so anxious to see if the arrow had hit where I wanted it to next to the other arrows that as soon as I released the arrow I was pushing the bow off to the right so I could see where the arrow hit, thus causing a driveby arrow hit( off to the right)
I began a program of blank bale shooting to work on my form and ignore the spots for a while the problem was me not the spot or the target.
Sam I also used to think that I was better on 3D targets than I was at shooting spots, but alas it was me thinking to much again, I have to tell my self that I am going to shoot well and truely believe it and it works for me, if I sych myself out to do poorly then the battle is already lost.
So much of it is mental that it still amazese me ever day.Sometimes my mind is my own worst enemie.
When you say you shoot the first arrows ,they do pretty respectable you are proabablely shooting on instinct with your true form and not over thinking the shots.
Remember that sometimes a smaller pin or fiber optic will cause a more percieved pin movement.
I hope I gave you some help and if not then, oh well I tried to help.