Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

scouting cameras

Old 08-19-2003, 09:09 AM
Fork Horn

Default scouting cameras

hey guys... just wondering what a good brand of scouting camera should i get.... i guess i' ve got a couple hundred dollars to use... i wanna find out what kinda deer i got in the area i hang my tree stand... and what times they come around... thanx
Old 08-19-2003, 09:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: scouting cameras

I bought the $69 stealth cam from bass pro. I just got back my first 24 exp. roll of film and I got 26 good pictures. Some day and some at night but all deer were clearly visible. If I had a couple hundred to spend, I' d get a few more of these cheap ones and put them around. However, if you' ve got enough money for a digital trail camera, I' d go that route because of the film expense. imho
Old 08-19-2003, 09:49 AM

I went the cheap route with a Moultrie. It worked great for 4-5 rolls of film and since then I have regretted it ever since. I learned my lesson.
Old 08-19-2003, 11:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Martin, how come the regrets?
Old 08-19-2003, 11:13 AM

The camera started out great. But after about 2 months started to get a lot of pix w/ nothing in them. I took great care on the set-up - make sure it wasn' t facing the rising/setting sun - replace the batteriers - check for small branches that might trip the sensor in the wind - " walk" test to make sure it was w/i range of the trails etc.

I burned many rolls where the camera would take a pix and then just snap pix until the roll ended - even on time delay. You could see the clock imprint and each minute was snapping a pix.

I didn' t use it much during last deer season/winter - decided to send it back this spring and they fixed it. Replaced the sensor - camera - wires - the only thing that was the same was the housing unit. I have had the camera out for 4 weeks now and I have only got it to take 5 pix. It' s on heavily used trails - I actually sat about 75 yards from the camera and watched 10 different deer travel the trail.

Just doesn' t seem reliable. oh well
Old 08-19-2003, 12:16 PM

I had a Moultrie Game Cam II last year and like what was already said, it was GREAT at first. I was getting some really awsome pictures. After awhile though, the camera went down-hill and finally got to the point where it would instantly start taking pictures when it was set-up and wouldn' t stop till the roll was done.

I just picked up a Stealth Cam on Friday. I decided to try it out before I dropped money on a more expensive unit (DeerCam Non-Typical DC-100). I have got one roll of film so far and it was awsome. This thing will take pictures of deer further than I had thought it would. I got pictures of deer that were as far as 65 feet away. The picture quality is awsome. Heck, I got 6 pictures that had bucks on them. One picture has a nice little 6 point and a BIG ol buck comming down the trail behind him. I took this roll of film out before it was finished. I was moving the camera to a new spot, and I wanted a fresh roll. Plus, I wasn' t sure if I had set it up right.

Now, the camera is set at the top of a patch of pines where about 8 or 9 different deer trails come together to go into the corn field right on the other side of the pines. This corn field is very very isolated, and the deer have been moving in this area alot. I set the camera at 1 picture every 4 minutes. Then, I threw out 40 pounds of Moultie Deer Corn right where the deer will be at. I will be checking it Friday, even though I am sure it will be done by then. Heck, I got 8 pictures of deer from that area in one night, and this camera is going to be out for 5 days

I can' t say how this camera is going to do in the long run, but, for $65.00 you can' t beat it. I am going to get that film developed on Friday (one hour development) at Wal-Mart, and check it there. If I like what I see, I will be buying another camera, maybe two more. Just think, you can get 6 of these Stealth Cams for the same price as ONE BuckShot!!!

This unit is very easy to set-up, but, the only complaint I have is that you better not put it up in an area where other hunters will be. It would be very very easy to take off a tree. Stealth has a locking plate for the camera, but, I don' t have it and am not exactly sure how it works.

I will post some reviews on this camera each week as I get more and more pictures taken though it.
Old 08-19-2003, 01:00 PM

I bought a Trailtimer EZ cam this July. I' ve got 4 rolls of film back. It seems very good so far. All my pics are of deer. Cost about $170.00
Old 08-21-2003, 09:49 PM

I bought the Game_Vu system and it totally bites. Even at ten feet the " pictures" are hard to see. Keeps tripping when no animals around. I can' t recommend another, but stay away from this one.
Old 08-21-2003, 10:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I' ve had great luck with the Trailtimer Photohunter. Had it for over a year and its taken over 225 great pictures. Best thing is I' ve been getting 3 to 3 1/2 months on a set of batteries. Its very easy to use and about $240. I saw them on sale at Fleet Farm once for $199.

TrailTimer also makes the EZ Cam. A friend has had one for 3 months and is happy so far. They' re a bit cheaper.....about $175

Its amazing what you learn about your deer from these cameras. Its really fun!

Good Luck!
Old 08-22-2003, 12:04 PM
Typical Buck

have a photo scout. i have been really pleased with it so far. no false pictures ever. easy to set up. it comes with a standard 1 and 5 min delay. sent my camera back to factory and they sent me an extra free 15 min and 1 hour delay for when i put it up on my feeders.

Quick Reply: scouting cameras

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.