Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

scouting cameras

Old 08-24-2003, 07:18 PM

Default RE: scouting cameras

We have been using game cameras on our club since 1996. I have tried several models. The absolute best is camtrakker, if a deer walks in front of this camera it WILL have its picture taken. Its sad to say that this isn' t the case with some of the other ones we' ve tried. []Moultrie was the worst for the same reasons already mentioned previously. Nontypical was also a huge disappointment. I used one in August and september a couple of years ago and it had trouble with the sensor I never got a picture of a deer during day light hours. When it was hot during the day the sensor just wouldn' t pick up movement. The store I bought it from had so many complaints that they quit selling them. I bought a leaf river trail scan last year and have been very pleased with it. It is loaded with features and is reasonably priced. I haven' t had a problem with a delay between sensor trip and a photo being taken. It has been used mostly on trails and food plots.

>>>---DAVIDP---SILERCITY,NC--->
Old 08-25-2003, 11:36 AM
Typical Buck

[:' (] I have a beautiful Cannon Sureshot A-300 digital. A very nice camera. Battery hungri but a very good camera. Unfortunately there are no mechanisms available to use it as a trail timer.

It would be nice if someone manufactured a system that could be used with a variety of cameras not just one specific brand or model. [:' (]
Old 08-25-2003, 10:37 PM

Dick cress there is a company that makes boards to interface cameras to the motion sensors. http://www.pixcontroller.com/

They is also a good deer camera forum to ask about deer cams and to make your own at http://www.jesseshuntingpage.com/for...p?showforum=50

The pictures they post their are also very cool
Old 08-25-2003, 10:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Strutter is right. I make my own digital game cameras with the help of the guys over at Jesse' s. When you see how easy and cheap it is to make your own camera and how much more reliable a homebrew camera is, you will throw rocks at most of these commerical units on the market. There are a few photos from my digital setup at my website www.applebytexas.com
Old 08-26-2003, 08:42 AM
Fork Horn

I have 2 camtrakkers i have had for about 3 years, never had a problem with them, still taking great pictures.
Just bought a cheap stealth cam , so far it takes just as good pictures as the camtrakker, but as far a durability, the jury is still out, have to wait and see.
I also have the gamevu, and iam not very impressed with it, the images are not very good, get alot of nothing on it, also i bought the kit to download the images onto my pc, ( which is supposed to work with windows xp) it does not work on my system.
The next camera i buy will be the non typical.
Old 08-26-2003, 11:56 AM
Fork Horn

hey those areally good pics txcowboy...how much ddi it cost to make that camera? thats an option that i never thought of....i am now tho
Old 08-26-2003, 12:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

There are two pieces of hunting equipment that I do not own.....A GPS unit and a Game Camera. I might just have to remedy the latter by picking one up this year.

However, I am undecided as to which model. Should I get the Stealth Cam as it is relatively inexpensive and I am just getting into this, should I go the route of the Homebrew Camera at Jesse' s or should I spend a ton of money on one?

I do have quite a few Cabelas points saved up on the credit card and I am just itchin' to pick up something.
Old 08-26-2003, 01:01 PM

Guys... take the advice of TX and build your own. It really isn' t that hard, the home builts work great and with the money you will save you can build two cameras.
Old 08-26-2003, 01:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey guys, I would definatly go the route of building your own. And personally I' d only go with a digital unit. Now, if you don' t have a home pc or reg. acess to one, then a digital might not be for you. However, I know that' s not the case with most of us.

The parts to build a homebrew digital will cost you around $250 to do it first class, possibly even less if you found a good deal on the camera. If you are like me and aren' t much of a handyman, you' ll have to buy a few small tools and such to get started. (like a pencil soldering iron, tiny electrical screw drivers, etc) Other than that all you need is this....

The camera, the most common and popular unit is the Olympus D-370 or D-380. Cost:$75-$125 depending on which model, new uses, etc.

A PIR motion sensor and timer. I buy this as a one piece board from a guy named Brian at Jesse' s. He is an electrical engineering whiz and this complete board is SIMPLE to hook up. It also comes with all the wires and toggle switches with quick connectors.
Cost:$70

Enclosure, I use the Pelican 1150 waterproof container. These are very nice top of the line, electronic water proof containers.
Cost: $30 or less including shipping.

The only other thing you will need would be a few small parts like glue/sealant, a couple small pieces of glass, a small cheap elctrical box etc. There is no reason that it should cost more than $250 for the actual unit and if you find a deal on the camera, it could be much cheaper! Then you would also need to buy a couple Smart Media memory cards for the camera that can be bought for about $10-$15 each and can often be bought for much less, sometimes free with a rebate. A memory card reader for you computer is also needed and can be bought for about $20 at Wal-mart. That might sound like alot of stuff but I promise it' s really not. If you already have a digital camera, you' ll know it' s not a big deal.

Once you have the camera built, there is no cost to keep it up and running. I use rechargable Ni-Mh batteries in the camera so there is no expense in buying batteries every week. Also there is no film costs, since the memory cards can be erased and used over and over. You only print the photos you want, instead of printing all the crow and coon photos that you have to print with you film cameras. Also a misconception is that you have to pint the photos at home. I have had digital cameras for 4 yrs and I have never printed a photo at home. You can take the photos on the memory card to Wal-mart and have them printed for 29 cents each. That is a deal.

All that being said, if you decided you wanted to go the 35mm route, the guys at Jesse' s could definatly help you build one of those too and it would be very cheap to do. I have never built one because I had a 35mm Moultrie at one time and the costs of film, batteries, and developing put me in the hole.

Building these homebrew units sounds very difficult but once you see exactly what' s it takes, you' ll be suprised how easy it really it. If you buy a commerical camera, remember, you get what you pay for. A $400 Camtrakker is a great camera and there is no doubt in my mind, it will out perform and out last a $100-$200 commercial camera.

Ok, sorry for rambling on endlessly, I tend to do that. Good luck and if you have any questions, ask away.
Old 08-26-2003, 08:54 PM

I have a Stealth and a Moultrie and have had good luck with both. They both take great pictures. I figure a good rule of thumb is that if you get a third of your pictures to turn out you are lucky. I would spend my money on more cheap cameras and cover more area.

Quick Reply: scouting cameras

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.