Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

[Deleted]

Old 08-16-2003, 03:30 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 08-16-2003, 03:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Rumors of Let-off % being revisted by P&Y

I think if they change the rule now, they might as well burn the book and close up shop.
Old 08-16-2003, 04:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I commented on this before so I hope no one minds if I repeat myself.

Arthur P. , my friend, I was going to suggest that you light the match but I think it has already been lit.

A little over a year ago when the vote was taken on the let off rule the margarine for keeping the maximum let off at 65% was about 3-1. This past spring, although I can' t verify I am told that the 65% let off rule narrowly passed by a six vote margine. In last month' s Petersen' s Bowhunting Mag. Jim Dougherty (past president of P&Y) emphatically stated that the let off rule should be changed to allow higher let offs in the record book. One of our members here also stated that M.R. James has written similar thoughts in his articles.

I feel a switch in the winds at P&Y. I would not be surprised at all to see the let off rule changed next spring at the annual meeting. []
Old 08-16-2003, 04:41 PM

I could really care less. The only way it would help to be included in P&Y is if I killed a world record, which isn' t going to happen in Mississippi. I think they will eventually reconsider. To get members they must follow the trends. They WILL follow the green backs. 65% plus let off bows aren' t going anywhere, people just shoot better with them.
Old 08-16-2003, 04:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Antler Eater, the flamethrowers have been aimed at P&Y ever since the Beatty buck. They don' t need my match. I just hate to see P&Y brought down to the level of Buckmasters. If ya know what I mean.
Old 08-16-2003, 05:30 PM
Super Moderator

I agree with Arthur for the most part. One thing though, if it comes down to doing away with a higher %let off rule........dividing into 3 classes.... traditional, compound and crossbow is not a bad idea.

My reasoning? To me, even though I shoot a 65% let off compound, any qualifying buck taken with traditional equipment is more impressive than a qualifying buck taken with a compound bow.

Furthermore, any qualifying buck taken with a compound is far more impressive than a qualifying buck taken by crossbow!

Why? Even though most shooting traditional equipment archers are excellent shots, there is a distinct advantage in most hunting situations with a compound bow, just as a crossbow shooter has a distinct advantage over both traditional and compound archers.

In regard to your subtle comment about Buckmasters Arthur, I know what you mean and agree with you!
Old 08-16-2003, 06:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

I don' t think it should be revised. I agree with arthur p all the way. The book would then be flooded with new entries and it would take away from the prestige of club. I know there is a lot of people who shoot 65% only because they want to make the book. And if someone else wants to make the record books they should shoot 65% as well. Some states it is illegal to shoot any thing over 65%. What about them? Just my opinion though.
Old 08-16-2003, 06:51 PM

I think changing the rule would cause too many problems. Just keep things the way they are.
Old 08-16-2003, 07:25 PM
Typical Buck

I like the idea of the traditional, compound, and crossbow. Revise the compound to 80 percent.[]
Old 08-16-2003, 07:58 PM

In reply to the mathews post above, I thought the mathews bows, even advertised as 70% letoff were legal in P&Y. The following is taken from their FAQ page;

If I take a Pope and Young record-book animal with my Legacy, Icon, SQ2, Q2 or Q2XL with the 70 percent cam, will this qualify for the record books?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The 70-percent straightline cam does fall within their guidelines for entry into the record books and is legal in all states. AMO measures actual let-off and doesn’t calculate hysteresis. When you draw a bow and settle in to a more comfortable shooting position in the valley of the cam, you experience less holding weight at draw.

So whats the real deal?????

AH

Quick Reply: [Deleted]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.