Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

[Deleted]

Old 08-16-2003, 08:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Rumors of Let-off % being revisted by P&Y

My question then is at what letoff do you feel is acceptable for P&Y....it took years, sweat and tears to get the rule revised from 50% to 65%.....seems the only people belly aching to change the rules are those who didn' t take into consideration the private club rules and bought 70% letoff bows and higher. Then, when shooting a P&Y qualifying buck......complained it didn' t count. The thing we have to remember is that P&Y is a private organization.

SO, back to the original questions....if you feel it should remain at 70%, then what about those who will complain it' s not 75%....and then what about those bow owners shooting 80%, and what about when bows reach 90%, or do we only care if our bows qualify and the hell with the next guy, then at that point, hell you might as well be shooting a crossbow and that opens up a whole nother can of worms.....!????????????

I chose to shoot a 65% letoff bow because I considered the P&Y club rules when choosing a bow because if I am fortune enough to take a animal that qualifies...I feel I owe it to the animal to enter it and honor it. To me it' s not about he hunter lucky enough to take the animal, it' s all about honoring the animal who earned his way in and offered his life to me. If you care about the book, obide by the private rules it set forth, if you don' t care about the book....

What about electronic devices attached to the bow and all the other non qualifying accessories one chooses to use...the line has to be drawn in the sand, currently it' s the letoff.....choose to follow the rules, or accept the consequences.
Old 08-16-2003, 10:02 PM
nub

Some states it is illegal to shoot any thing over 65%.
Really? What states would that be?
Old 08-16-2003, 10:13 PM
VBM

Washington State for one.
Old 08-16-2003, 10:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Really? What states would that be?
Well there NUB no need to get crabby with me but.........

Montana
Oregon
Idaho
Washington

These are the only ones that I am sure of but their may be more. I may have one of them mixed up as well. But you have the gist of it.
Old 08-17-2003, 12:08 AM
Fork Horn

I just don' t think that 80% is going to help anyone get a P&Y Buck. I' m sure not going to switch as the 65% shoot much better for me. And it doesn' t bother me one bit if they raise it to 80%. The idea that more folks will have bows that are P&Y legal and as a result will consider the notion of fair chase as a result is IMO much more important. Hell if it would just turn one more slob into a consciencious hunter, it would be worth it in my view.
Old 08-17-2003, 12:34 AM
AK

High letoff, draw-lock devices, increasingly faster bows, etc. all dilute book-recorded accomplishments; swaying from what was once " what archers are able to do with simple equipment" to " what technology is allowing archers to do" .

The 80% rule is but one of many I feel P & Y should stick to their guns.
Old 08-17-2003, 08:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

IMHO, I beleive if they don' t make some changes in the near future, the organization will begin to shrink in members. WHY would that happen you ask. Well, for the most part new comers to the sport of bow hunting are not starting out with traditional gear, they start out with the newest high tech. bow on the market, which in most cases isn' t going to have 65% let-off. So, over time, the old die hards will simply do that, die off, and the club will slowly shrink because of lack of new members. That' s MHO! For what it' s worth, not that I really give a hoot what they do. I' ll keep shooting 80% let off and keep hanging my mounts on the wall, no one needs to know a darn thing about them. I take much pride in taking large antlered critters, and don' t see any advantage in posting the size of any of them in a book for others to see!
Old 08-17-2003, 08:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

...not that I really give a hoot what they do.
People that don' t give a hoot what P&Y does falls into two categories. First, they are ignorant of all the work P&Y has done, for their benefit over the years, and continues to do, for which the newbies are just as indebted to the club as the old timers are. OR they are simply selfcentered ingrates.

If it weren' t for Pope and Young Club, there are a lot of states that either wouldn' t have an archery deer season or it would have taken many years longer for them to put one in place. P&Y isn' t perfect and there are problems with cheaters lying their way into the records book. I' m not a member. But I respect P&Y and am very grateful for what they' ve done on my behalf, as a bowhunter. Abiding by their rules of fair chase is something I feel compelled to do, out of gratitude if for no other reason.

But I' m rapidly becoming one of the old timers, if I' m not already there. I just hate to see what this techno whiz equipment is doing to archery hunting. BowTech says they are ' taking the arch out of archery.' I think a lot of other companies can say the same thing with their products. Ripping the very heart and soul out of the sport.

Just my old, worn out opinion, of course.
Old 08-17-2003, 08:48 AM

Hell, lets just restrict the archery seasons to traditional only. Just had to do that.
Old 08-17-2003, 09:01 AM
Typical Buck

they should do away with the let-off percentage period.....
totally agree. although it' s no big deal to me, because I doubt I' ll ever see, let alone kill a P/Y buck here in south Ar. but I think it' s a little rediculos for a club to say you can' t enter your buck in our book because you were holdin back a few lbs less than what our rule allows.[:' (]

Quick Reply: [Deleted]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.