Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

[Deleted]

Old 09-06-2003, 10:45 AM

Default RE: Rumors of Let-off % being revisted by P&Y

Here is an email I had recievedfrom one the the P&Y directors. Of course, he is in favor of changing the let-off rule.
Just got back from another great Pope & Young Convention - this time - in Madsion, Wisconsin! Four days of great seminars, great speakers, a great game display with a bunch of new world records and just a great bunch of bowhunters to visit with! As I did in 2001 in Salt Lake City I presented a motion to the Regular and Senior membership to have the 65% letoff rule changed to 80%. At the time many club members really argued that it was important to " maintain a line in the sand" to stop the perceived uncontrolled development of compounds bows. My motion in 2001 was defeated by a margin of 2 to 1. In January of this year myself and a very hard working group of fellow members once again initiated a move to eliminate the 65% rule. Our belief, simply stated, was that a compound is a compound, and whatever the letoff; all fairchase, ethical, legally hunting bowhunters should be eligible to enter animals into the record book. This year I presented 2 motions. First, to eliminate letoff restrictions totally. If that failed, a 2nd motion to change the letoff restriction from 65% to 80%. With the help of a great group of fellow hard working Pope & Young members including, Dave Coupland, Archie Nesbitt, Tom Nelson, Mike Sturm, M R James, Bill Krenz, Dick Sage, Chuck Adams, Jim Dougherty, etc . etc. etc. We came extremely close this time! For the motion to eliminate letoff restrictions totally the vote was 142 for to 156 against. For a change to 80% it was 141 for to 149 against. It was a very positive, and well debated meeting by both sides. I, however, believe a " change in the wind" is occurring within the Pope & Young Club and intend to continue pushing this initiative until all fairchase North American bowhunters are eligible for :Bowhunting Records of North America" . Ryk
Old 09-06-2003, 01:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry, I' m a little late on this topic.
Their book was started by traditional hunters, meaning Longbow and recurve shooters. Then along comes the compound bow and they all have their panties in a wad over this dumb limit!! 50%, 65%, 75% or even 80% let-off makes no difference. You still have to draw the bow back and make the shot, period!!
I would like to see them change the book but in this way, make one book for the traditional shooters and one for the modern bows. Case closed then. Everyone can be happy and have there bucks " in" the book if thay so please. With the amount of hunters on the decline and the deer populations on the increase, there will be many more book bucks taken over the years to come. I shoot 80% let-off and won' t change, this is my preference. But with that choice I can' t enter the " book" if I ever do luck out and get a monster??? BS!! They have to change with the times, and by going with two seperate books eveyone wil be happy!! My two cents on it!!
Old 09-06-2003, 10:47 PM

I, however, believe a " change in the wind" is occurring within the Pope & Young Club and intend to continue pushing this initiative until all fairchase North American bowhunters are eligible for :Bowhunting Records of North America" . Ryk
Hmmm... ALL fair chase? Does that mean those with lighted sights? (If legal in your area)
PERSONALLY, I think that if you are hunting within your state regulations, and shooting a BOW (not an x-bow) you should be in. With the trend towards 80% you are going to see more and more " P&Y" bucks NOT in the book...but in Buckmasters or something. This WILL hurt the legitimacy of the P&Y book as an archery records book. If they do NOT change, it will simply become a book of animals shot guy guys who use certain arbitrary restrictions on their equipment.
Old 09-06-2003, 10:51 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]