Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

bow hunting turkey

Old 08-14-2003, 07:36 PM

Default bow hunting turkey

I was wondering when you bow hunt turkey do you use the same broadheads that you use for deer and were do you aim is it the same spot that you aim at with a gun or more in the center of the bird. Any info would be appreciated.
Old 08-14-2003, 10:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: bow hunting turkey

I' m sure some use the same broadheads they use on deer. The main concern on arrow hit Turks is fly off. Its best if penetration is less than deer, and the arrow can stay in the bird to help prevent fly off. I use NAP Gobblergetter broadheads. They are not cheap, but are designed well to slow penetration. They are basically a spitfire with a blunt tip. It' s also suggested you crank your bows lb' s down for turks. On vital areas of aim. I wouldn' t try a head shot like do with a gun. There are 3 areas you can take a turk w/bow. Frontal shot right at the beard, from the rear on a strutting bird, and 3rd from the side higher on the body then you would a deer broadside. Above its wing. If you ever get a chance to look at a 3D turkey target the 8 & 10 rings show you exactly where you should aim w/a bow.
Old 08-15-2003, 12:14 PM

Default RE: bow hunting turkey

Thanks for the info I' ll have to take a look at a turkey 3D target. Do you know where I might find some of the gobblergetters I been looking for turkey broadheads but neverfound any.