Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

DEER CALLS?

Old 08-14-2003, 07:25 PM

Default DEER CALLS?

i have a primos doe can and a couple of grunt tubes, my question is when and how should these be used, ive read that 3 short grunts with a pause in between them is how its done, but i think either the deer are ignoring it, or worse it is scaring them away, i seem to see more when i dont use it.... any ideas on how to properly use these tools, maybe some experiences youve had with them.

any help would be appreciated
Old 08-14-2003, 07:41 PM

Default RE: DEER CALLS?

Many people believe they sound like deer when they don' t. Calling is an art. Try and change pitch, tone, and inflection....and your results should get better. I have had good results with doe bleats, and so-so results with grunts. My friend called in and arrowed a 6-point last year with the can.
Old 08-14-2003, 07:44 PM

I used a grunt tube last season using 1 louder grunt with 3 softer shorter grunts and after couple minutes I had three doe come running out into the field I was sitting by. wether the grunt tube had any thing to do with that i don' t know but it didn' t scare them away anyway. That was the only time I used it sofar hope it helps and good luck!
Old 08-14-2003, 08:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

I' ve been using deer calls for about 20 years now. I rarely blind grunt (grunt without viually seeing an animal). I do however rely on a grunt call when I do see an animal and it is out of range. In my career, I can honestly say I have shot almost all my bucks because of a call. Most of them pass by out of range and a couple soft calls, the buck stands in range and falls shortly after that.

I' m not calling myself an expert however, I do know what has worked for me in the past and that is to give a soft grunt when I see a buck. If he hears it, he' ll usually give me a response one way or another. Most times, a second soft grunt is all it takes.

In those 20 years, I' ve never seen a negative response to a buck grunt. I either see a positive one or none at all. A positive one might be nothing more than an ear twitch in my direction and nothing more. I feel it' s positive because he heard me, registered me but at the moment, is uninterested. I have never spooked a buck because of a call.

If your spooking deer, your either saying the wrong thing or are too aggressive. Rarely does aggressive calling work. Sutle calling will get you better responses.

Old 08-15-2003, 02:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have 4 different calls, one Primos, 2 Knight & Hales, and 1 tru-talker. Which one do I think reproduces the most realistic grunts? The tru-talker, no doubt about it! It isn' t as loud as the others but a real deer grunt or bleat isn' t loud. It is adjusteable for buck or doe sounds.

One piece of advice: get a tape of grunts and bleats, learn the different sounds, inflections and when to use each of them. It should help alot.
Old 08-15-2003, 09:23 AM

Last year I had the best hunt I' ve ever got to have on Veterens Day last year. This 180 class buck was about 100 yards away walking through the timber going the opposite way of me during the rut and I used the Quaker Boy Doe In Heat can and that thing ran in so fast I couldn' t believe it.

I just bought a WoodsWise product the other day off the net called the Bullseye Buck so hopefully that gives me some good luck too.
Old 08-15-2003, 09:32 AM

I' ll have to agree with Thundermug......you should get some tapes so you understand the different calls that can be made with a grunt tube. It is important to know when to use each (based on the season). I have had awesome results with my grunt tube, lil can and rattling horns. You should make sure your set-up is appropriate for your calling situations. Example: If a buck is 100 yards from your location when he hears your call and your set-up in an area that visibility is high, your chances of getting him to come to you is dismal at best. Bucks, like does, are smart enough to know that if they hear another deer, then, they should be able to see the deer that made the sound. So......make sure you are set-up in brush, inside a tree-line, etc. when using your calls.
Old 08-15-2003, 09:34 AM

I do like Rob/Pa and use the grunt on contact

I will blind can call though - and blind rattle on occasion
Old 08-15-2003, 10:26 PM

hey thanks for the info guys.. ive been calling even if i dont see anything ... this year i' ll try just calling when i see or hear one coming.... i like the tape idea.... are there any that you could recommend?

again... thanks for all your help
Old 08-16-2003, 03:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Am looking at the Away grunt call hope it
works the tape I saw looked good!!

Quick Reply: DEER CALLS?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.