Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

info on starting a small archery shop????

Old 08-13-2003, 07:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default info on starting a small archery shop????

Can anybone pass on some information on what licences and how to get them to start a small archery shop? Can you buy factory direct, or is it through a warehouse? You do not need a firearms licence to sell archey equipment do you? Do you need a vendors licence? Please do not leave you comments to just these questions please tell all. Any and all info would be greatly appericiated!!!! Please share!!! Thanks
Old 08-14-2003, 12:09 PM

Default RE: info on starting a small archery shop????

I actually have been thinking about the same things for a few weeks now. I was hoping to see some input from your question.

good luck
Old 08-14-2003, 12:27 PM

Default RE: info on starting a small archery shop????

Essentially it all depends on what state you are in.

On the federal level there are no restrictions on archery equipment. In my state, Alaska, the only thing you would need to get started is a state and local business license. Once you establish that you will need to start searching down archery equipment wholesalers and many manufacturers will sell direct to a legit archery shop. You will need to become a qualified dealer to buy many of the top of the line bows and each manufacturer has it' s own qualification for that. Many wholesalers and manufacturers will require proof that you are a shop in the business of selling to the general public.

Starting a small archery shop can be very tough if you don' t go all the way and provide the pro-shop level of service that your competition provide. With Cabelas and other catalog/internet companies selling archery equipment at very competitive prices it' s very tought to break into the business unless you go all out. Once again, it all depends where you are located.

When starting your own small business you need to be very aware of the IRS and local tax rules. You will also be required to provide personal financial statements to many companies if you require credit with them.

I own my own small business (not archery) and I could write a book on the dos and don' ts involved in getting into any small business