Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Help with the bugs!!!

Old 10-11-2011, 04:26 PM
EFH
Typical Buck

Default Help with the bugs!!!

Hey guys, went out this afternoon and hung my last stand in a river bottom. I was in there about two weeks ago to find my tree and the skeeters were pretty thick, but was expected this time of year. Today though was almost unbearable just putting my stand on the tree! That got me thinking about bug spray and getting winded, the same old battle every year. I use a therma cell now but on windy days it dosen't do much good, and used no stinkin bugs spray in the past but its still got an odor to it. What have you used to successfully to keep these f*^kers away without ruining your hunt?
Old 10-11-2011, 04:56 PM
Fork Horn

Thermacell... Every hunter and fisherman should have one.
Old 10-11-2011, 06:43 PM
Typical Buck

I haven't tried one yet but I will be buying a thermacell this week before I go out again. I hunt in a swampy area a lot and I got ate to pieces last week. Nothing like standing there with deer 30 yards from you and you have to let the skeeters bite you in the face because the deer are looking right at you. Not sure what else is out there that won't smell.
Old 10-12-2011, 05:03 AM
Typical Buck

Thermacell is one of the best outdoors inventions.

I dropped mine walking out saturday morning around 1030 or so.

That afternoon I went to go to another stand and couldn't find it.. I stopped what I was doing and started backtracking to my other stand to find it. 1/2 way there I find it.

Was getting being eaten alive at my truck and walking to find my thermacell. I hunt near a swamp and the skeeters are small turkey buzzards in size.. No way I could sit for 3 or 4 hours with out it.
Old 10-12-2011, 07:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by IOWABUCKHUNTR
Thermacell... Every hunter and fisherman should have one.
X1000! They work like a charm.
Old 10-12-2011, 07:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thermacell if there is no wind, a clothing spray with permathin (sp?) otherwise. WalMart used to carry it, but no more this year. BP/Cableas/Dicks will have it.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:14 AM
Fork Horn

I use a thermacell also. If the wind is bad, typically the skeeters are not.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:45 AM
Fork Horn

Maybe I was lucky, but here is what happened to me just this past weekend.
Got to my tree at 6:05am. Was already getting eat'n up by the skeeters so I sprayed myself with OFF from ground level. In the tree at 6:10 and had 3 doe under, and I mean under, my stand at 6:20. Draw your own conclusions. They sniffed a tree I had touched the previous day and sniffed my ladder.
Old 10-12-2011, 04:56 PM
Fork Horn

if i dont use the therm o cell i use a scentless spray , its mostly a therm o cell call they werk